In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Value of Firewood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 2, 2018.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

yes sir! in 2013, before I was even burning wood!
    was just thinking about that last night. Good times!

Rope, Lucy, Hammy and 3 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

May it continue! Part of that is called being frugal. Once a person starts, he immediately finds things he never thought about for saving dollars. It can be little things too. For example, as we've stated before, rather than running a humidifier, my wife dries the laundry using wood heat. No exhaust fan in bathroom so any humidity caused from showers goes into house to add humidity. Not turning water on full when taking a shower! I'd bet there are very few who do that. Habit says turn it on full. Same thing when washing hands. Don't necessarily need full power so use less water. Making sure doors stay closed as much as possible and this includes refrigerators and freezers. Heating up things on stove? Why not use wood stove for that? Well, I could go on and on about this but it can become a way of life that enhances your life and saves a lot of dollars.

Rope, Lucy, walt and 6 others like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

This reminds me of a story. :D

Happened about 2 hours ago...I woke up to the dog barking his head off and I was looking for more covers and shivering ! The house was cold and Mrs TD surely fixed the fire at 5am before she left.
    So I get up to see what the dog is barking at. Out from under the covers...the house is cold!
    No!!! ...I mean REALLY COLD!!! 'cause the door is standing wide open...and its 4 below...:mad:

and to top it off... now the furnace quit...:hair:

maybe I'll look at it in a bit...:coffee:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Rope, Lucy, Lone_Gun and 8 others like this.
  4. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

No doubt! He can’t fool us wif all that tough guy talk. I’m not saying he’s not one tough dude, heck he’s gotta be tough just to live where he lives in dat hinterland! But he can be tough as nails and still be a man of compassion & generosity. I suspect that’s the case.:yes:

5. MO. Wood

MO. Wood

Same here every year. My neighbors laugh at me when I'm splitting wood in July with 100 degree weather. Come Halloween their scrambling for wood and make an excuse to drive down and make small talk. Eventually the same question come out " I know you don't sell firewood, but can I buy some until I can find some to process." The don't own any saws, mauls or splitters so I'm curious what they mean by process. They also want the neighborhood discount. So every year for 10 years my answer is always no. That being said I always will help my close friends in a pinch and never sell, I give it away for free. I chooch away all winter while the neighbors either pay the man 130.00 dollars for a 4x8 face cord of 2 year red oak or the electric company since my neighborhood is all electric.

6. Backwoods Savage

Well, has it helped the outdoor temperature yet?

On the plus side, I do hope you get this problem fixed fast!

Lucy, Hammy, saskwoodburner and 4 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

shhh, My wife calls ME a rough and tough cream puff.. :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: I got a heart, proudly, I'll help out kids, animals, single moms,etc. Grandfather was a farmer til day he died he planted widow rows, in the end we would go pick them and bring to food shelf.

Farmchuck come on up to Dennis gtg this spring, I can make you laugh with stories..and:handshake:

Rope, Lucy, Hammy and 4 others like this.
  8. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

A gtg? Where at? I’m in Pennsylvania. How fer away we talkin?

Lucy, Hammy, TurboDiesel and 3 others like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

It's a pretty fair drive from PA. You can ask Scotty Overkill or TurboDiesel for a good idea on mileage. GTG is near Chesaning, MI in April. Date not yet set in stone but will no doubt be either 14, 21 or 28.

Rope, Lucy, Hammy and 5 others like this.
  10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

yes it's up into the teens now. This IS is amazing!!!:bug:

Lucy, Hammy, saskwoodburner and 4 others like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

not sure why but the power vent wasn't sending a signal to the furnace.
    I pulled the vacuum line off and checked the vac switch, it was clicking. Pulled the relay out and it looked fine. looked the circuit board over for burned parts, nothing obvious. put the relay back in and turned the power on and off a couple times and the relay was closing and opening fine. The power vent was running fine. Then the burner kicked on...
    At this point, I'll assume the vac switch might have been hung up...
    Thats good for now, but it will probably happen again at some point.

Lucy, Hammy, saskwoodburner and 2 others like this.
  12. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Egad! backwoods Savage you drive all the way from the hinterland!? You are tough!!!!!:eek:

Lucy, Hammy, Backwoods Savage and 2 others like this.
  13. BZOR

BZOR

I have a new home and still waiting for our new wood stove to be installed... I haven't had one fire this winter and it's making me crazy :hair:. Good news it should be installed in the next month or so. We have 3-4 years of css wood ready to burn, yet I'm still stingy with sharing it with others.

The past couple of years I've openly offered to anybody that they're welcome to come cut firewood on my property since I'm slowly trying to clear some land, but few have taken me up on the offer. When they do, I usually help them, let them use my splitter, and let them keep all the wood we cut that day.

Back in October a coworker asked to buy firewood, I was reluctant to sell any. He complained that everyone selling firewood wouldn't return his calls or would simply stand him up and he was feeling desperate. He wanted a cord of my quality black locust so I finally quoted a fair price of delivered BL, seasoned for two years for $300 (his home is a 30 minute one-way trip from my home). He complained at the price and showed craigslist ads for hardwood for $200, my reply "are these the same people who won't call you back??" Finally I gave in and delivered a mixed load of BL and alder for $200. I saw he has a fireplace and suggested he look into an insert for efficiency. His reply is he doesn't really use it for heat, instead likes it for ambiance. That really bothered me because my hard work, drive time, and selling wood for below market price was for his ambiance.

Yesterday he commented that he'd like to come cut firewood on my property in the spring and I told him he's welcome to do so at any time. He then told me he's running low on firewood, I knew he was going to ask for more but before he was able to do so I simply said "that's too bad" and walked away.

I don't mind helping people in need, but don't like being taken advantage of or being taken for granted. I hope he comes out in the spring, I'd really like him to have enough wood for next year think we'd have a good time doing so.

Chaz, shack, Rope and 13 others like this.
  14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ok
    still at it here with the oil furnace. still no heat until a few minutes ago.
    Seems it wasn't the burner that kicked on, I thought it did but it was just the blower. So I checked the reset, and no lights of any kind came on...no power to the burner...Why? jumped the stat wires, fired right up. Seriously? the stat was turned to 80. pulled the stat apart rolled the knob up and down a few times, blow the dust out, burner fires...
    Looks like a new stat is in order.
    Or at least a really good cleaning to see if it helps.

Lucy, Hammy, leoht and 4 others like this.
  15. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

My wife a d step daughter do this far too often. My front door has a tight seal, and you really have to push it to get that final click to seal it fully, you can lock it like that too. It will leak cold air otherwise. Any time it feels cold I will find the door not fully closed.

Two mornings in a row I came downstairs in a freezing house and find the door open two inches. WTF! It's like they were raised by wolves.

16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ok I just turned the stat back down. House is hot! The furnace is working fine, just like I expected. I ran it till the house was up to 78*
    So now I am positive it's a control issue.
    The fire is about out, so the house should cool pretty quick and the stat is set at 68.
    We'll see what happens...

giphy.gif

17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Maybe you should just give up and call a plumber before you break something trying to figure it out. :whistle:

Lucy, Hammy, Backwoods Savage and 2 others like this.
  18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Well I was going to. But since I installed the furnace myself, I figured it wasn't under warranty...:zip:

:rofl: :lol:

Trouble shooting can be a pain on the electronic stuff.

Lucy, Hammy, leoht and 2 others like this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Call a plumber for a thermostat, in these temperatures.. No Way! Just kidding Mwalsh9152, I thought TurboDiesel was a plumber but I might be mistaken. I' m a landlord so a new good thermostat is $25 with 3 to 5 wires and 10 minutes.

Edit he beat me to it.

Lucy, Hammy, leoht and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I thought he was one too, figured he shouldn' be the perplexed one about this! Lol