In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Factory carb setting on Craftsman 2.0 or Poulan Micro

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by swags, Mar 8, 2014.

1. swags

swags Moderator

Got the top handle saw and runs good on top end but won't stay running on an idle. Anyone know the factory carb settings to start from?

2. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

Google searched and found something that said starting point is 1 1/2 turns out. Good luck.

3. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Instead of tweaking the L screw, try turning in the idle speed screw a bit (LA, or T, IDK what it's called on a Craftsman, usually has a different head than the other two). It's much more likely that that one has backed off a bit from years of use.

4. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim

(Google copy paste) Remove the carburetor's limiter caps if equipped. Be aware that this may void your warranty, so remove them only if you are certain that your carburetor requires adjustment beyond the limiter's setting. If you remove them, start with each screw 1-1/2 turns out from gently seated.

Start the saw and let the engine warm up completely. Never adjust the carburetor on a cold engine.

While idling, turn the "L" screw clockwise all the way in until the engine makes a higher-pitched whine. Back the screw out one-quarter turn and note its position. Then turn it back counterclockwise until the engine starts running rough or dies. Turn the screw back one-quarter turn and note its position. Set the screw halfway between the two positions you noted. Listen to the engine and test throttle response. The rpms shouldn't be too high or too low, and it should accelerate properly.

Holding the throttle in the full throttle position, turn the "H" clockwise until the engine starts making a very high-pitched whine. Back the throttle off, and back the screw off one-quarter turn immediately, since overspeeding can quickly ruin the engine. Hit the throttle again and turn the "H" screw counterclockwise until the top speed starts noticeably falling off. Turn the screw clockwise one-quarter turn. Adjust the "H" screw in between these two noted positions. These positions are the lean and rich drop-offs, respectively. Listen very carefully to the engine for the best reponse to the throttle, indicating the mixture is neither too rich nor too lean.

Finally, you adjust the idle speed to just slower than when the clutch engages.

5. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

If it like my Poulan 2000 you need to take the cover off to adjust it. When you get it set put the cover on. Try it out, but I bet it will be a tad rich on the high side. Take the cover back off and lean it out a hair. Repeat until you get it correct with the cover on. I think I started @ 1 1/4 out from lightly seated.

DSS and Pallet Pete like this.
  6. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Glad to hear its running at least !!

Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. swags

swags Moderator

thanks everyone, hoping to pull the saw out tonight and mess with it a little.

AmarilloSlim and HoneyFuzz like this.
  8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I ran it for about 2 hours and it did well Fuzz it was out of tune for sure though.

clemsonfor and HoneyFuzz like this.
  9. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

O ya and I cleaned up that chain and it does pretty good too for being a cheapo chain.

clemsonfor and HoneyFuzz like this.
  10. swags

swags Moderator

I noticed that chain is sharp!

clemsonfor, HoneyFuzz and Pallet Pete like this.
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

That's the after effect of my Timber Tuff. :D Man I love that grinder...

MasterMech, swags and HoneyFuzz like this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have a Poul an print top handle and I couldnever find a starting ppoint for the carb. I will have to go back and try this. I am pretty sure I did everything from 1-2.5 turns out as a baseline. Maybe I just need to rebuild the carb?

13. DSS

DSS

A saw that runs good on top but won't idle very often has an air leak. Just sayin.

Those little poulans are great saws, I got several in different colors.

swags likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Maybe it is an air leak? I bet the saw doesnt have 3 hours on it!!! Maybe rubber hardened?