In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Feel-Good Moment....

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FatBoy85, Nov 9, 2017.

  1. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    To which no doctor has such a cure. Unless they say “Go hoard some more, its only yard space”.... thanks Scotty Overkill!
     
  2. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    When I put the stove in, it was just for emergency or TEOTWAWKI. Not as a main heat source.
    Now, it's for all the reasons listed above.
    I never knew what I was missing! And now I couldn't live without it!:coldfire::MM::camping::fire::campfire:
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,190
    Location:
    Central MI
    Ah yes, we all love the wood heat!

    FatBoy85 at this time of year the amount of wood you have there would keep us warm for a long time! I guess we are blessed but this time of year we just don't fill the stove at all. Nice thing about the soapstone too is that after the fire dies there is still some heat there stored in the stone.
     
    papadave, bear 1998, BigPapi and 2 others like this.
  4. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    I look at the family I've gained by being a woodburner. And man I've gained a bunch!

    I look forward to the GTG's as much as the holidays!!
     
  5. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Believe it or not, I prefer cooking on the woodstove than the range. It’s actually more consistent and convenient. What would nice to make would be like a stove top oven but would be a bit too bulky as far as materials go. Ive made about 2-3 meals a week on it, breakfast and dinner. Great for cooking something slower if you set pans on trivets (I have a Steel plate that I picked up). How often do you cook on your stove TurboDiesel?
     
    Rope, BigPapi and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,190
    Location:
    Central MI
    Don't forget to mark next April on your calendar! I promise to make the guys ease up on you a bit next spring!
     
    BigPapi and FatBoy85 like this.
  7. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    I find that the house holds the heat very well now. Having closed up gaps around doors, there isn’t much loss in the heat in the morning. I don’t fear losing heat now either. If you turn on the heater and then open my front door, it felt like I took my wheelbarrow, my weekly earnings and dumped it on my front porch. With a stove, the heat just comes back as the door is closed. That’s priceless.
     
    BigPapi and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. Rope

    Rope

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2017
    Messages:
    5,752
    Likes Received:
    34,118
    Location:
    Alaska
    Scotty Overkill I see a new shirt ....Wood life...with the FHC logo
     
  9. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Fire Life Wood Life and Happy Wife?
     
    Erik B and Rope like this.
  10. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    That's a good idea, brother!!
     
    Rope and FatBoy85 like this.
  11. Rope

    Rope

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2017
    Messages:
    5,752
    Likes Received:
    34,118
    Location:
    Alaska
    On a hoodie.
     
  12. Rope

    Rope

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2017
    Messages:
    5,752
    Likes Received:
    34,118
    Location:
    Alaska
    I use Dutch ovens, beans, stews, soups, chili...now I am hongray! I am going to have to make a batch of red beans with moose sausage, with some rice and cat head biscuits.
     
  13. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    :eek:
     
  14. Rope

    Rope

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2017
    Messages:
    5,752
    Likes Received:
    34,118
    Location:
    Alaska
    Homemade, no two look alike, all seem to have ears and points everywhere.
     
    Backwoods Savage and FatBoy85 like this.