So, I needed some inspiration to see if I really wanted to build rolling firewood bins for the basement. Opened up the cover on the only "close to dry" wood I've got and loaded a couple buckets full… This is oak and maple, off the stump fall 2012, bucked and split fall 2013, stacked late 2013. That tarp stuff worked pretty good. It's called clear greenhouse tarp. First time I've tried it. The future bin area (without stairs). Just thrashing wood down the stairs ain't great… but it works. The door's about 8' away from the stove. Enough room to roll a 5' long bin out of the bilco easily. It works to get it down there for now but it could be a lot better. I like some of the ideas I've seen on FHC and after I got these 2 bucket loads down there all over the place, it really seems like a good idea to dump straight down into a box. For next year project prolly…
I like your outdoor setup! Nice looking stacks in the woodshed. I have seen many folks here with a simular situation as you, burning in their basements. Some of them have made themselves a trap door with a chute that brings the wood directly where they want it. Do you have any way you can do something like that.
I remember rolling laundry carts with canvas sides when I worked at a hospital. Maybe a surplus supply store has one? Line it with plywood inside? Awesome stacks and tarp BTW.
Pretty much. I should be able to move a 32"x5'long x 4' high firewood box on 4"casters easily. Plenty of floor space to have up to 4 of those boxes (gotta build one first Stinny) if I really wanted/needed to. I think I could dump 4 bucket loads per box. we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty good at coming up with big plans… not so great at gettin them done… but with Hoarders hounding me, who knows? Thanks btw
Thanks. Yeah, my wife and I started out with an Ashley in the basement way back in the late 70s. Then the old farm had a Fisher in the living room. Then we had a place that had stoves in the liv rm and basement… and the basement one got me scheming about this place right off the bat. It's really nice keeping the whole mess down there. I should be able to get a 6" hot air feed up to the main floor easily too. If I live long enough , I think I'll have a good system altogether… we'll see.
That's a very impressive wood shed! And your stacking and wood is meticulous. Looks like whatever your doing is drying the wood quickly. How much do you think your greenhouse tarp has helped with seasoning the wood?
Thanks. Well, it faces south, so it gets a good amount of sun. But, it would only help drying that first row on days where it was above freezing. (Wood won't dry when it's frozen, in the winter) And, I lose any advantage of airflow as far as drying goes. I want to attach a pipe along the bottom of the bays so I can roll the tarp up during the warmer seasons for drying. The tarp has worked well keeping all blowing rain and snow out tho.
I used to either toss wood down the stairs like you or sometimes carry it an armful at a time. Switching to a rolling cart was the best thing i ever did. Just toss it in and roll it over to the wall. Keeps all the dust and bark in one spot too! Great lookin woodshed by the way!
Thanks Smokin. I didn't remember where I'd seen the bin idea… it was you. A good idea and has opened my eyes to what was right in front of me…
Not to be picky or contrary, but wood will dry in the winter! Just ask BogyDave about that one. Of course wood does dry in the winter but will dry faster in the summer. Just don't want people to think no drying is going on because it is.
I got the "no frozen wood will dry" from the guys over at the Forestry Forum. I hadn't even thought about it before. Said the water can't get out at all unless it can evaporate and it can't while it's frozen. Maybe they're all wet… dunno. Winter's dry air, I thought, would be a great time to dry wood, but I guess only if it was inside heated. Then, like everything else made of wood, it'll dry like crazy. I was kinda bummed when I read about the frozen wood thing… I was hoping to get some drying during the winter so… I hope you're right.
Well, I think several universities have proven this point and it seems that Bogydave is also doing an experiment this winter and so far it is showing some good results. But we like to just think about way back years ago before clothes driers. Most women still hung their clothes on the line during the winter months; some still do. The laundry would dry no matter how cold it got. Clothes would come in a bit stiff but pretty darned dry. Well, if the laundry dries, why not other things? In addition, we stack wood in the winter as we cut it and by March there are lots and lots of cracks in the ends. Of course this does not mean the center has dried but it does show that the ends do dry. Also, look at ice. Watch how it changes as the air gets colder! Yes, the ice is losing moisture!
Cool stuff. And, the ends of wood I just brought in were drying, though they were warm to the touch (behind clear tarp stuff) Anywho, if the year's worth of wood has 3 years to dry… she'll be dry… that's fer sure
Thanks Pete. That settles it… 2 bins to start. Can't wait to get rid of those stairs. I think the guy who built em was having a bad day…
I think you pretty much made yourself a solar kiln there. I bet you are getting a lot more drying action behind that plastic than you realize.
Some of it sure is drying. No doubt that first row. Once I get the other bay loaded, I want to re-do both bays to roll-up front covers. The rear doesn't have any cover but it has a 3' overhang to help keep snow/rain out.