In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Snow,Ice & Rain ?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Feb 25, 2014.

  1. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
  2. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    Snow squalls on way home tonight.. Took over 2 hrs. to get home.. Might get a snow storm for Monday again!
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    48 days so far this winter with below zero temps, coldest winter in 35 years.
     
    Pallet Pete and raybonz like this.
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Be safe zap! This am we drove in a complete and utter white out on the way in. We also Missed a big accident by literally inches.... It was awful driving conditions and though the sky has cleared once you leave the main roads it's an icy mess. It took three attempts to even move the Blazer this morning then another two to get up and out the driveway. I'm ready for spring rains!
     
    raybonz and thewoodlands like this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'm glad you missed the accident. I don't think we'll get much from this storm, it keeps on tracking south every time I see an update.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  6. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well, after an entire winter of snow and cold, snow cover ALL winter, sub zero temps, it all melted in one day February 20th. Ice jams and flooding. I really thought it was winter's last hoorah. Nope, this weekend we are back at it here and then it is going NE towards most of you guys on this forum. Good luck all! I wish I had more wood in the wood shed, but I have been trying to gauge it so it is empty at the end of the burning season. I need the space in the summer for other stuff. Oh well, I have dug through the snow to my stacks before, so I guess I can do it again if I have to.
    IL weather.png
     
    raybonz likes this.
  7. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Low of 3°F tonight, wind chill -12°F
     
    raybonz and tfdchief like this.
  8. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    It's soooo dang cold right now! Blasted windchills! :confused: Hope your all inside and warm guys.
     
    raybonz and tfdchief like this.
  9. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Just was going through some old pictures and found this one from 02 or 03. This is looking south down our road. Our driveway would be in the lower left of the picture. Easy cutting!:) The whole mile section of our road looked like this.

    [​IMG]

    Gary
     
    thewoodlands and tfdchief like this.
  10. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Mother nature provides one way or the other I guess, at least for us crazy wood burners:thumbs:
     
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    They called for the sam
    We have a windchill forecast of -29 tonight.
     
  12. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    They dropped us down to 5-8" again on Monday. If the storm is south of you we may get dumped on down here. They can't lock in any amounts till the snowing has almost started. They start off higher, and then revise the amounts during the storm. I'm just glad they didn't blow it by being too conservative in their estimates of snowfall. Nothing like waking up to 20" when they called for flurries overnight. Happened twice in the late 70s about a week apart.
     
  13. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Gotta say, you do like your snow, Scotty. I remember when I liked it too. Age has a way of changing one's opinion of snow events. :)
     
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Calling for 12"-16", we'll see what happens. Another 3 day weekend?
     
    raybonz, thewoodlands and NortheastAl like this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Just another frigid morning up here in the Woodlands, -21 with the windchill.

    I did take a ride on the sled yesterday afternoon (left the picture taker at home) :eek: the trails are getting thin so without any snow the season is getting shorter.

    I do plan on cutting some Hemlock branches off a fallen tree today so the deer can get at the needles on the very ends of the branch, they ate everything else.
     
    raybonz, NortheastAl and Pallet Pete like this.
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    That snow will test those chains.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  17. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Wow that's cold! I'm gonna hide in my heated garage and work on the truck!
     
    raybonz and thewoodlands like this.
  18. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Funny thing is I tried to work out there last night and it was -25 with wind chills so after an hour of trying to get past 40f I gave up and came in. This morning it's beautiful -10 according to my gauge but the garage is warmed up to 55f and feels very nice.
     
    raybonz likes this.
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We have this winter beat Pete, a few more days of this cold weather........... I'll say spring will be upon us, winters over except for one big snowfall that we usually get.

    I was back in on the sled last night, I saw my first job on the side of a hill, a nice Beech.

    What we used this year is already replaced.
     
    raybonz, NortheastAl and Pallet Pete like this.
  20. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    That they will because they arrived! Getting an early start tomorrow. -3°F start time@7am. Might need to bring ball mitts. :zip:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.