Hello... My name is Mike, and I am a wood hoarder. With the reasonably decent August weather, I decided it was time to start splitting the white oak rounds that I've been collecting from a tree a neighbor decided to take down. The most recent load from the tree.. Some are split because they were too heavy to move in one piece. The rounds are temporarily stacked at the end of some of my stacks. Then, I started the splitting - The stack in the back, is what I did Monday. Done for the day. Had the x27 maxed out running at 1mp. - One Mike Power. The splits are stacked there temporarily. I know, it sucks to handle wood multiple times, but until I start moving wood up to the house for the upcoming heating season, I don'thave anyplace to put it for the long haul. The remaining rounds to split, with a growing pile of uglies that'll need to be noodled. Same wood - different angle I'm hoping to have the rest split by the end of the week. I'll probably need to stack the splits right where the rounds have been stacked. I would have gone longer yesterday and today, but once my hat was soaked and the sweat started to drip on my eyeglasses, I was time to stop. I suppose I should have just gotten a different hat!! ~smile~ I was feeling a little pull in the lower right side of my back, so that was it. This is the first time I've had such a large amount of white oak to split. It is some sweet smelling wood. I now understand why whiskey is aged in it. Once I have the splits moved to their next-to-last resting place, I'll be sure to date the stacks and note that it is white oak. It's going to make the house nice and toasty come January, 2021.
Yeah.. I know about the flag.. Figured it was an ok place to hang it before putting to bed in the next campfire I have.
Some folks have a problem with old flags but I never have and still respect them. What bothers me more is to have people who won't show respect and say the National Anthem. I have some old flags that are no longer up to date but I suspect few would recognize them. Tis okay. They are mine and I still love the flag.
Thanks, Backwoods. I don't burn as much as some on here, nor have the acreage and toys. But, I have learned quite a bit here. Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
White oak is like Halloween candy for a kid, gotta keep collecting until something breaks! We are really fortunate here in NE with our native hardwoods. Nice job!
I have years 6 and 7 sitting in a massive pile the size of a semi trailer in my spare driveway.....hoping for some splitting time soon.
Thnks, and I couldn't agree more. The various oaks, maples, birches, beech, and black locust around, we truly are blessed. Blessed with the Autumn colors, as well as selection for firewood.
I'm one of the sensitive ones when it comes to our flag. I am regrettably not a veteran, but I do understand and recognize all the sacrifices made for the Flag, the Nation, our People. Thusly, any form of disrespect towards it turns my switch on instantly. My post was a reminder to Mike that he may be showing it less respect than it deserves. He is planning to dispose of in it the proper way, so no worries. Nothing at all wrong with hanging onto an old flag, so long as due respect is given IMO.