In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fat wood as a grill starter?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by FatBoy85, Jun 29, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

When I went to Lowe's the other day, grabbing a new garden hose, I saw the bags of fat wood for sale in the grill aisle. It says to use these to start a grill but I have my doubts. Mainly if you wait until the fire is hot as can be its likely fine. Mostly since pine isn't desirable at all in a grill for cooking, just wondered if anyone used these for that purpose?
    Rather they be used in a stove that heats up more than a grill for my purpose and two sticks of fat wood goes a long long way...try skewer stick size.
    The charcoal chimney and paper is enough here.

2. BHags

BHags

I used fatwood once to start an outside fire and the smell was awful. I would never put that in my grill!

NortheastAl and FatBoy85 like this.
  3. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i tried it once never again.....the food made my mouth go numb

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Whew. Lowe's went low. But this was branded on the bag. I think just strictly fire pit or stove. The sticks are likely to burn longer than the charcoal and have to remember that once it gets hot enough it drips out so its like oil. Thanks fellas! I had a feeling these weren't good for the grill at all never tried them for that now never will!!!

NortheastAl likes this.
  5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Well it is pine after all, no?
    Ya know, reading the thread title too fast, one mighta thought "Fat Boy as a grill starter!"
    :whistle:

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Hey. Bacon has a better chance at starting a grease fire than I do! :p
    You'll meet the beast behind the name soon enough... quite similar to a house boiler that one poster I have seen on here. Without the pipes and bells and whistles. I'll have to recheck the threads I've been reopening lately.

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Someone posted a great photo of their fathers basement wood furnace like this. Except ours at the ocean just sits lower and is about 1/2 inch steel or so. Off one of the Navy ships that PSNS decommisioned and dismantled. I remember getting it out of the wood hauler used still. I was only about 9-10. It replaced a large cement sewer pipe section just buried in the ground. I love building fires in this thing. Anyways this thing is close enough to FATBOY, could put out the same amount of heat. I often drive my family batchit as they moan and groan that I loaded 5 logs in. Im thinking" rain is gonna come and soak you in a bit" sure enough rain poured 10 mins later and temps dropped dang fast. Nobody said a discouraging word. IMG_2240.JPG

VOLKEVIN, SKEETER McCLUSKEY and BHags like this.
  8. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I don't know who the dummy is at Lowe's that would allow fatwood to be branded as grill firestarter. Thats an instant recipe for a lot of ruined dinners. The taste left on the meat would be most unpalatable.

BHags, Eric VW and FatBoy85 like this.
  9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Couldn't agree more.....I should go over there and snap a pic for the company and ask them what the deal is. I was reading your introduction VOLKEVIN and hoped you'd chime in. We're all votes No on Fat wood for grill starting so far and I hope it stays that way.
    The advertisement advice in this is not sound :hair::hair:and anyone who knows his way around a bbq should know this a great way to void your Grill-Miester card. Unless they like numb tongue.... (this is disputable but I've heard pine inhibits a taste to make that happen) :eek::jaw:

VOLKEVIN likes this.