In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mulberry Tree ?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Marshel54, Jun 9, 2017.

  1. Marshel54

    Marshel54

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    Messages:
    1,664
    Likes Received:
    12,920
    Location:
    Ohio
    I found a mulberry tree volunteerly growing about 20 feet from my barn. It is already fruiting. Are mulberrys sturdy trees? Could it give me problems in the future being that close to the barn?
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    They are sturdy, you can keep it more like a bush if you desire. I would think 20 ft from the garage would be fine, maybe make sure to train it so it doesnt lean towards the garage.
     
  3. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    I think i would enjoy a mulberry tree seeing how large the fruits are and whatnot. My house needs more trees. Let me know how this works out for you. Pictures please I'm impersonating Eric VW right now, gotta follow through! :D
     
  4. Marshel54

    Marshel54

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    Messages:
    1,664
    Likes Received:
    12,920
    Location:
    Ohio
    After seeing the Maple at Shawn's place, it got me thinking about trees close to structures. It is ok now, but 10 years when it is bigger and I am older I don't want to have a problem.
    I have several old Maples close to the house. I haven't tested them to see if they are hollow yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are. It will cost me a small fortune to get them taken care of. Just don't want to run into possible future problems. I just found another one.
    There is a Mulberry sitting on the fence line. I am going to harvest the portion that over hangs my land and make a pie and some jam. See how I like them.
     
    Thor, Chvymn99, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  5. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Sounds delicious!:thumbs::drool:
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Mulberries are my favourite fruit. I woukd let it grow and trim it back if it starts to get too big.
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    The only problem with mulberry is when the birds start eating the fruit. Never park your car near one!
     
  8. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,298
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    They make pretty good jam...we even made Mulberry cobbler a couple years ago...it was good...not as good as raspberry cobbler though. I posted pics of it here somewhere but the site search feature won't bring 'em up for some reason.
    Yeah, makes a nasty purple stain on some things! Assuming it is a red (or black) mulberry?
    My grandma had a white Mulberry tree...I actually liked the taste better than our red one...and we have one tree that has hybrid berrys on it...some are red, some are white, some are kinda both.
    Oh, and once the birds start eating them you will start to find lots of little volunteer trees everywhere. I leave 'em be as long as they are in an OK spot...I figure they'll make decent firewood in the future if nothing else...kind of a quick growing tree.
     
  9. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    They say fruit trees are best for smoking too so id wanna try that out
     
    Backwoods Savage and Chvymn99 like this.
  10. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,298
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Now ya got me searching mulberry cobbler recipes again! :drool:
    Supposed to make great wine too...
    EDIT: here, I'm gonna torture y'all too!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
     
  11. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I park the trucj under mine and dont have any issue. Now when we had red maples I felt like I was the pontiff driving the poop-mobile.