In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Beast Gave Me A Workout Today.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Kimberly, May 4, 2017.

  1. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,318
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I would think that a thread titled like this one would get someone looking for a man all hot and bothered, no??? :rofl: :lol:
     
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
  3. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,554
    Location:
    US
    Aye yi yi....:picard:
     
  4. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Now that we got that out of the way, we return you to our already schedueled tree cutting.:loco: :crazy: :picard::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
    brenndatomu and Gasifier like this.
  5. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,836
    Likes Received:
    114,682
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I try to learn something new, every time I fell a tree.

    Kimberly, if you keep finding that your back cut is not straight, then
    try scoring a line from one side of the face cut, back around to the other side. If you cut right above that line, it should be straighter then what you are finding today.
     
    bushpilot and NH mountain man like this.
  6. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Yes, I think I will get some kind of marker (could use the saw but I like the idea of a marker better) and give me a guide to go by.
     
  7. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I was wishing for a help mate yesterday because I really wanted to clear the garden before the rain came. And rains did come. We got three inches of rain last night and the lower garden is a mess; I have an issue with state run-off and the water that washed down through the valley took away the lower part of the garden. There was a possible tornado in a nearby city to the south; damaged buildings and homes; one business had one section to completely collapse. I am to the point where I may just give up on gardening; the weather just dosen't allow it here anymore. First we had summer weather in late winter, then we had winter again, then spring and then winter. Now we are being flooded out with rain. Plants require oxygen around their roots to take up water and nutrients; with all these rains, it compacts the soil and drowns the plants. If I try sowing my seeds they just rot in the water laden soil. I love gardening but the joy is disappearing because of the weather.
     
  8. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,318
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    What is state run-off?

    Isn't it too early to plant gardens anyway? Don't quit just because the ground is too wet for planting....
     
  9. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,836
    Likes Received:
    114,682
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Raised beds might help with your gardening efforts.

    Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
     
    Erik B likes this.
  10. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I meant road and state drainage ditches.

    The back veggie garden is not as bad, it drains quicker. The garden in the valley I use for plants that have vines, pumpkins, potatoes; etc.. I need to plant my potatoes soon. I also plant my beans in the valley. It is cool tonight. You forget that I am South; maybe not the deep South but still a lot further south than the UP. My friend in the coastal plain of Texas is already harvesting yellow squash; he gets to enjoy a long growing season. However, yes, with these cold rains, seeds are not going to sprout anyway.
     
  11. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I am thinking of maybe turning the back veggie garden into raised beds. I don't think it would be practical in the little valley.
     
  12. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    If you think that gum gave you a workout dropping and bucking, you haven't seen anything until you try to split it. Interlocking grain sucks. The good news is it dries fast. Might be ready to burn this winter or definitely next burning season.
     
  13. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Yes, I have split some before. Even with my little splitter I often have to pull it off the splitter and then use the axe to cut through the "strings".