In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ironwood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Apr 8, 2017.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The last time I was up top I noticed two downed Ironwood, I'll have my arse up there tomorrow morning getting them.

    I'll have the pictures for Sunday night.
     
    Hammy, Backwoods Savage, Loon and 6 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Stay safe sir!
    :thumbs:
     
  3. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Cherry ironwood? :emb::D:p
     
  4. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    Enjoy the mud!
     
  5. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
  7. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
  8. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Hi Zap
    I'm looking through a Tree ID book and there is no ID for "Ironwood"
    Would this be a Hophornbeam?
     
  9. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I believe that is correct.
     
    Hammy, Barcroftb, thistle and 2 others like this.
  10. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Ironwood - Wikipedia

    I don't see Blue Beech on that list, but that's considered an Iron wood also.
     
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Thanks guys. Still learning.:emb:
     
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Yes,American.
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I should've put this link up.
    http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/hophornbeam
     
  14. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
  15. JCMC

    JCMC

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    10,119
    Location:
    Just outside of Shushan, NY
    Hardhack, Ironwood, Hophornbeam no mater what you call it excellent burning lots of BTU's. I have some on my woodlot it gets just so big then the roots rot and over they go and as you say Woodlands GIBIR!
     
  16. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    There's supposedly 10 kinds of wood that have been considered ironwood as its about the same weight and density (I have some its pretty damm heavy) and some would wonder if it really burns or its like hemlock, you have to have a hot fire just to get it burning. I would have to guess there are varied woods that can burn but they don't just burn on their own and some that do but need a hot start. Hopefully what you found Woodsnwoods is indeed a good burning wood!.
     
  17. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    It is probably listed with hophornbeam as there is several in that family. Around here, we still call it by its simplier name; ironwood.
     
    TurboDiesel, Hammy and Well Seasoned like this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    I had never heard of blue beech called ironwood until a few months ago. One more case that makes one wonder why they list stuff like this as there is a huge difference between blue beech and ironwood!
     
    Hammy, Well Seasoned and Jack Straw like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Don't stop! Tim, I can show you the difference between blue beech and ironwood in a couple weeks if you wish.

    If we drive a bit north and west I can even show you the town of Ironwood!
     
    yooperdave, Hammy and Well Seasoned like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Sounds good! :rofl: :lol:

    A lesson on ID'ing would be great, Dennis!
    Chief mentioned ID'ing also. (dont remember if he can make it or if the marathon is that weekend.):confused: