In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Computer monitor question

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Apr 8, 2017.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I use duel screens for most of y computer activities. I was getting artifacts on one of my screens so I changed it out for a 27 in. curved Samsung. I have it connected to my computer with an HDMI cord. I was amazed at the improvement in viewing. Not only is everything larger and brighter, it has better definition. My old eyes really welcomed the change. Now, my problem is the one old screen. It is an older HP, not HDMI, much smaller and the screen is no where near as bright. I tried turning up the brightness, but could not achieve anything close to the Samsung. Solution: Went back and bought another 27 in Curved Samsung HD.
    My computer only has one HDMI outlet. I have found that is they way most of them are. So the second screen will have to be connected with a conventional hook up . My question: can a HDMI splitter we used to show screens one and two, or would that second one end up just being an extension of the first one? Can a second HDMI outlet be installed in my computer?
    thanks
    Larry
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,569
    Location:
    US
    Splitter? Probably not gonna do want you're wanting, Larry-
    There maybe an easy way to get that second HDMI port (perhaps there's a USB to HDMI adapter?)...
    Best way I think would be upgrading to a video card that offers two HDMI's.....?

    Let's see what the rest of the gang says.....:yes:
     
    savemoney likes this.
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Thanks, I thought before I put a whole lot of time digging this, Our group has so many skills, someone might just know what I am looking for. I seldom use the computer without multi tasking at the same time. i.e. Netflix on one side and the forum on the other.
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yeah, see what slots you have and you can put in a second video card with its own hdmi port.
     
    papadave and Eric VW like this.
  5. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,569
    Location:
    US
    I took a cursory stab at Amazon...man, there's a ton of choices :eek: :yes:

    Grizzly Adam, what's your thoughts?

    Never mind.... you just hopped into the thread:thumbs:
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    See above.
     
    savemoney and Eric VW like this.
  7. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,569
    Location:
    US
    Edited....
     
    savemoney likes this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I seem to remember that you have a desktop box, so I'll 2nd Grizz' suggestion. Add another card with at least one HDMI out, if the motherboard has another slot.
    However, some computers have more than one hdmi port, so check yours before buying another card.
     
    savemoney likes this.