In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First Ride..................

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Jan 28, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Yes, I think the lights on my sled are stronger than the lights on her sled. Lots of work coming up this spring/summer/fall, getting more firewood c/s/s, then I have trails that need opening up so we can hit them with the rhino and the sleds next year. At the moment we have close to three miles of trails we're running on, with some hard work, I think that I can double that for next year.

    Some of the trails that we're not running this winter just need some dead trees removed that have fallen across, others will need some stump removal.
     
  2. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We received just over an inch of snow today, did you get any in your area?
     
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Aaaa, when would you be talking about? :D Yes. We did. In the last 12 hours we have received about 3-4 inches. Just enough that you need to shovel. But I did not break the Bobcat out yet because they say possibly some more tomorrow. I'll wait till it is all done. But I do want to clean it all up and scrap everything down so that when the warm weather comes the driveways and parking areas will be even nicer, quicker.
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Gasifier likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    With the chance of this area losing it's snow, I decided to take another ride around the property, the track was just getting nice.

    The first two pics are from our property, pic 8627 is from the state park,8628 is up on trail 8E, 8630 is the big birch on our property from last years wind event.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Just some pictures of some work coming up this spring on some trail clearing, they all will need some stump removal along with clearing some downed wood.

    If all of these get done before next winter it should more than double our sledding trail mileage from three to six miles.

    The one that's not pictured is down in the ravine, with that trail opened up it will definitely more than double the mileage.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    With the rain and the warm weather yesterday I was hoping we had some snow left on the trails, if we don't get any rain before the cold wave the trails should be fine.

    I finally hauled some equipment back in via the Moose Cargo Tub, it's going to work great. Most of the stuff on the trails was smaller so I never used the saws, if we don't have the wind tomorrow I'll do some cutting.

    Since it was windy today we went to the Weller Mountain Pork BBQ for lunch.
    http://www.wellermountain.org/Images/WinterBBQ2014.pdf
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier likes this.
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Dude, that sled is sweet and going to come in real handy. I don't know if you're into winter camping, but that would make hauling everything out great!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Not into the winter camping but we're thinking about tapping some trees next year, we just need a better setup for cooking down the SAP.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Very cool.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The big reason we bought the Moose Cargo Tub was that if we have lots of snow and we get a ice storm I still can get back in with the sled with the chainsaws.

    I'll see how it hauls wood, tomorrow I hope.
     
  12. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Can't wait! Sounds like a good spring project. Building the sap cooker/bigazz grill for a summertime invite!;)
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It will either be a cement block or barrel type of cooker. Getting the sled ready for some cutting today, I might take that Beech today.
     
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF

    If your weather is similar to ours today, It should be a great day for it. I'm starting to get cabin fever, wouldn't mind getting out to get those white oak rounds that need splitting. Have fun, be safe!
     
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I left the Beech alone, the winds picked up pretty good once I got back in the woods. I did fell a topped off Cherry before I headed out.

    Once I made it home the wife ask me if I would take her sled for a ride, it's been two weeks since she has taken it out, so back in the woods I went with her sled for a quick ride.
     
  16. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Happy wife, happy life. Quick ride here in another post too, posted a tire grooming thread.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    That happy wife just informed me about a new trail she wants up the hill in the back, boy a skidder would make that job easier.
     
  18. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Well, look on the bright side, it would perhaps yield more firewood cutting another trail.
     
  19. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I'll bet John would like to sell you a 4x4 Mihandra!
     
  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    He tried last Friday, he has some sold already according to his workers.

    Maybe one of these days, we'll get a few things paid off before we even think about it.