In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Makin' an all black JRed

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by The Wood Wolverine, Dec 27, 2016.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Nice. Pretty clean work.:)

Eric VW likes this.
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I had much fun with it.

Got it all buttoned up last night and had to run it today. Got outside to tune and realized I never trimmed the limiters on the low side. Too cold to mess with it, so it wasn't right on the low. High side tuned to 14,2 w/ a bit of strokin'. Cut good and felt good. Log was frozen poplar (double barrel) and the saw stayed @ about 10,5-11K in the cut.

Chain's cuttin' good, if it wasn't frozen I'm sure it'd be faster.
    DSC02162.JPG DSC02163.JPG

94BULLITT, Eric VW, DexterDay and 4 others like this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

What do y'all think?
    WWS.jpg

Not going to be doing it regularly, just messin' with my own junk, lol!

94BULLITT, Eric VW, DexterDay and 2 others like this.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I like it!! :dex:

The Wood Wolverine and Eric VW like this.
  5. Kyle Mulligan

Kyle Mulligan

It looks good to me. Held rpm's very well in the cut. And the saw looks really tuff. What do you think? Are you going to go back in and change anything? What carb you using?

Does every WWS come with a dye job?

6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I did trim the L limiter this evening and still couldn't get a satisfactory low side tune. It's the OE carb, I believe an EL18. I checked into a swap to my original carb and intake from my 346, but they are the same diameter so it wouldn't be an improvement. And I read a bit on Brad S's hot rod 350 and he had issues with the 357 intake and went back to OE. I'm more than willing to listen to experience!
    It certainly held more rpm's in the cut after the port work. I really like it so far, very perky and builds revs very quick. When it gets warm and that log thaws out we'll get a better feel for the saw.

I have the bucket of dye sitting in the basement... It was fun blacking this one out, but no plans to make them all black.

7. Kyle Mulligan

Kyle Mulligan

I replaced the el18 on my 346 with a el42 and once I got it tuned correctly(took a while) I really really like it. So much I just bought one for a 350 I have. I didn't change intake just bolted on. They are cheap($28) not too expensive to try?
    You have an unlimited coil on the Jonny?

Eric VW and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yes, it's unlimited. I will keep an eye out for a deal on one.
    Eric put a 199 on my 346 w/ the 357 intake. But like I mentioned, previous builder had a weird issue going that route on his 350. It was soo cold out, I didn't want to keep trying to get it right. I messed around with it for a few minutes and came back inside. One possible issue is the fact that I opened up the intake on the cylinder to the point it doesn't line up perfectly with the rubber boot opening. Not sure if that would cause problems. I may have to phone a friend on that. I wouldn't think so but I'm the rookie @ this.

Kyle Mulligan and Eric VW like this.
  9. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I have a 199 and 357 intake on my 350. What was the issue he was having on his?

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

94BULLITT likes this.
  11. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I wonder if he tried the 199 after he resealed the riser?

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I've no idea.
    Spent the evening thinking about the carb suggestion. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a good deal on one. My thinking is there is not enough low side fuel from this carb to tune correctly. I had that jet out more than 2 full turns @ one point. Anyone have a spare 199? :D

94BULLITT likes this.
  13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

My 350 does have a 346NE p/c but I think he had something going on with is saw causing problems. I don't know what I was thinking last night. I got a EL42. I got my carb on ebay for under $30.

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I'd rather have the wally but my eye's are peeled for a deal. In the mean time, I think I'll make sure I don't have any air leaks.

94BULLITT likes this.
  15. Kyle Mulligan

Kyle Mulligan

Why all the walbro love? I understand they flow more. But I personally have had more problems with walbro then Zama and tillotson combined.
    My experience is limited and I'm sure you two have more but this is what I've seen.

This hda199 has had its fair share of issues and is more then double the price. Why?

Is it the same reason that Stihl sells higher than husky? Reputation, ignorance, history, advertising? Or is it cause Zama=Chinese?

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Wally love, that's funny right there! I'm going by others experience. Eric likes them in the 3cubes, that's good enough for me. Reading about all the winning builds in that class, 199.
    And my 394 has a wally that has been rock steady for years. Guys say the tilly is even better, but I have no experience there, so I can't comment.
    To be fair... I bought a 357 new in '10. Its got a zama on it. When Dan H ported it, the zama stayed. He's very vague on details, but this saw has been unbelievably reliable, especially in the tune. I went several seasons without touching the carb till I recently switched to Echo RA oil. All my saws needed richened up.
    That being said, I wouldn't turn down a great deal on the Zama, but I'd pay a little more for a 199/198.

Kyle Mulligan likes this.
  17. Kyle Mulligan

Kyle Mulligan

I understand it from the porters side because they need the extra fuel. They just seem less reliable and more expensive in my eyes.
    I have a 199 and a 159 here if you want them. They need a rebuild but I can send them to you.

18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I'd definitely buy the 199. And I think that is my issue, I need more L circuit fuel. I was too busy moving snow to mess with the saw yet. I plan to use an aerosol can to check for leaks.

Kyle Mulligan and concretegrazer like this.
  19. ECsaws

ECsaws

20. Kyle Mulligan

Kyle Mulligan

Send me a pm with your address and I will send it down.
    Tell me more about the aerosol can.