In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Time-Warner cable opinions... need input...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Stinny, Mar 9, 2017.

  1. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    What do you think of TW cable? Service? Costs vs Dish? Internet speed? We're in Maine btw... thanks !!!
     
    Chvymn99 and wildwest like this.
  2. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    It's charter spectrum now.

    I hate cable and internet companies.

    Their cable box sucks real bad. Go through one every year. Their remotes suck, but they do have an app that works good about ℅80 of the time.:headbang:
    The Mrs gets on the phone or when a box craps out stops by their closest office and usually gets an "older rate" after rates have increased and their box craps out.

    Service is hit or miss.
    We run our own router, to avoid the rental fee.....
    They recently changed their (then back again) coding so it's only compatible with their POS routers...So we have to program ours back and forth to keep the wifi up.

    Internet speed can be good if you pay for it. In my area they have been throttling you back during peak use.
    I personally don't the like their packages speed of upload vs download, you have to buy a ton of download to get good upload speeds.....

    The only thing half reliable in my area is their picture quality. It is almost always great. That's if their programming matches what the live cable guide says:rofl: :lol:

    All in all cable is alot of money for really bad service, it grinds my gears something feirce!
     
    Marshy, Chvymn99, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  3. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    I can't say anything good about them either .
    Raised my rates every 3 months till I'd had enough .
    Went to direct TV
    Happy so far
     
  4. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    My wife was told by a TWC rep. that if they raise your rates call and cancel and have your spouse sign up as a new customer to get the 89$ a month price. When that runs out have your spouse call and cancel and then you call and sign up. The reps go along because they are on commission. I haven't tried this because they kept our rate low.
     
    savemoney, Chvymn99, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Welp... we'll see how this goes. My honey just signed us up... :picard:... :hair:
     
    savemoney, Chvymn99, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  6. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    Try it, maybe you will like it. They do have a good trial price.

    I'm surprised you guys have cable service, as a kid I remember when it came through to what was once my rural home town.
    There are still no service areas in "upstate" NY!
     
    wildwest, reprod, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Time Warner's service here is decent, internet is good. Unfortunately most of the absolute CRAP on TV really makes it not worth the expense. Time Warner needs to be the first company to allow their customers to pick and choose the channels they want. Each one individually. So much per channel per month. Then I would buy the channels I like to watch and their internet service. Prolly not as much money in it for them that way though.

    Recently I was looking for ways to save money in our budget. I talked with wife about the TV channels and how we never watch about 90% of them and what I was going to do. She said go for it. I reduced our channels back to the basic 1-13. Saved $58/month. We have those 1-13 channels and the internet service with them. And our cell phones through Verizon. There are a few shows I miss seeing occasionally but its pretty easy to find better things to do.
     
    wildwest, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  8. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,643
    Likes Received:
    130,652
    Location:
    Vermont
    hint do not use their email except as a junk cause then it's more difficult to change..
     
    wildwest and Horkn like this.
  9. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    We are signing up too. The only options for internet here are satellite or cellular...no DSL. There was no cable on our road, the house density is not high enough to require them to supply service according to their contract with my town. I contacted TWC Business class and told them I needed secure internet to work from home, they did a survey of the build out to my home, the nearest line is about 1200 feet away. They agreed to build the line if I agreed to buy a minimum $ amount of service for three years, so I signed up. The line is built to the pole that serves my house, we are now waiting for some snow melt and things to thaw a bit so they can run the underground line from the pole to my house. We are trying to sell this house and at least two prospective buyers commented on the lack of cable service.
     
    wildwest, Stinny, reprod and 5 others like this.
  10. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    We're waiting until Spectrum takes the reins from TWC in a few more days. I think I heard the sales guy say just one double-click on their WiFi and a cord of wood will show up all stacked in the shed... :whistle:... :woodsign:... no... really.......... :rofl: :lol:
     
    Eric VW, DaveGunter, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  11. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    No, he said one click and porn would show up. :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  12. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    So the deal we signed was with TWC business, they would build the line to our house, no cost, but we must buy $150/mo of service for three years.

    The installation was completed a few weeks ago, just as Spectrum took over. Its been over a year from when we signed. The package we signed up for a year ago was out of date, the guy who did the final install told me to call and update it. When I called to get the package updated, I explained that I had to buy $150 worth of service because of the contract. To which they told me, this is Spectrum now, we don't do contracts, you are not under contract.:dancer::rootintootin::dancer:

    So we could even cancel all service if we wanted and basically have gotten the line built for free. We ended up cancelling with Spectrum business and signing up with Spectrum residential as the packages and prices are much better.
     
    Stinny and Eric VW like this.
  13. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I love my TV/cable provider now that I cancelled my service!
     
    Canadian border VT and Eric VW like this.
  14. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Hmmmmm.....
    And then instant wood?:rolleyes: :whistle: :picard:
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    Canadian border VT and Stinny like this.
  15. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Not at my age. :BrianK:
     
    Stinny, papadave and Eric VW like this.
  16. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    One click [open lid, pour blue pill in hand], and you might have to visit a hospital if your wood lasts more than 4 hours....:faint:
    :rofl: :lol:
     
  17. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    None of that for me, if that happens it's God telling you you had enough. Well, that's what I'm gonna tell myself :D
     
    Stinny, papadave and Eric VW like this.
  18. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I took one of them once. Ended up in the ER. Almost killed me!
    Yep, it got caught in my throat and my throat swelled shut. :whistle:

    ;)

    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  19. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    " :eek: "......literally....:rofl: :lol:
     
  20. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,382
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Charter here. Bunch of crap on TV now-a-days. Don't like cable.

    At the cottage, we have DVDs and VHS tapes. I hope to be getting over the air antenna system for down there this summer.
     
    savemoney and Eric VW like this.