I saw this article about killing wild hogs in Texas by poisoning. It has raised a lot of concern about the unknowing the impact on the rest of the wild life. I hate the thought of a hog massacre. At the same time it has to be acknowledge that this invasive animal is destroying the habitat of other indigenous animals and is costly to the damage of crops and also a threat to spreading disease to humans by the hog's fecal contamination of crops like raw greens. I would hope there would be a way to turn these wild hogs into some food products instead of littering the land with toxic corpse. Any ideas? Fearing "feral hog apocalypse," Texas approves drastic measures
Not so sure I agree with the poison idea either. I think promoting more hunting would be much better for all concerned. But, drastic times sometimes calls for drastic measures.
I've thought for a long time they ought teach/offer a butchering processing course in high school/votech in TX. Teach a man to fish! Many of these kids I see today just out of school with a part time job barely make it. On assistance etc.
I am more aligned with taking this hogs to market. Just as soon as marketing them becomes profitable, you will see it situation turning back into control. One of those wild hogs was found here in Maine. No one can account for how it got here. Not sure how they will do with the coyotes.
I agree completely, but there are not enough hunters to successfully reduce the population. The hogs breed faster than the hunters can kill them
Even as we speak a buddy of mine and his Dad are out in Texas with some other guys hunting them. Gary
Perhaps we should invite some of our Czechoslovakian friends over for a hunt. Wild boars roam Czech forests - and some of them are radioactive
I know, and its only going to get worse. More hogs, fewer hunters - a lot fewer hunters I'm afraid. Found this on the intewebs, don't know if it is true, but I believe it: "In 1970, over 40 million Americans purchased hunting licenses. Today, the number is 12.6 million. This trend is likely to continue. Almost 50% of hunters are over age 47." This was published in 2014 so the number is probably already quite a bit lower.
Need to put a bounty on hogs. Or find a way to take them to market. Of course the government would want there share, so that would only make it worse...
It could be true. In MI the DNR has been fighting the trend of not so many license sold and according to them within the next 10 years the sales will be only 50% of what they are now.