In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wild hog kill in Texas

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Feb 22, 2017.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I saw this article about killing wild hogs in Texas by poisoning. It has raised a lot of concern about the unknowing the impact on the rest of the wild life. I hate the thought of a hog massacre. At the same time it has to be acknowledge that this invasive animal is destroying the habitat of other indigenous animals and is costly to the damage of crops and also a threat to spreading disease to humans by the hog's fecal contamination of crops like raw greens. I would hope there would be a way to turn these wild hogs into some food products instead of littering the land with toxic corpse. Any ideas?
    Fearing "feral hog apocalypse," Texas approves drastic measures
     
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    Not so sure I agree with the poison idea either. I think promoting more hunting would be much better for all concerned. But, drastic times sometimes calls for drastic measures.
     
  3. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    I've thought for a long time they ought teach/offer a butchering processing course in high school/votech in TX.
    Teach a man to fish!
    Many of these kids I see today just out of school with a part time job barely make it.
    On assistance etc.
     
  4. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    yum
    Coumadin bacon
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I am more aligned with taking this hogs to market. Just as soon as marketing them becomes profitable, you will see it situation turning back into control. One of those wild hogs was found here in Maine. No one can account for how it got here. Not sure how they will do with the coyotes.
     
  6. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    If there were 2.5 MILLION feral hogs in your state, you'don't be demanding something be done too!!!
     
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,286
    Likes Received:
    66,683
    Location:
    IN
    I think lead poisoning is the best poisoning for wild hogs.
     
  8. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,286
    Likes Received:
    66,683
    Location:
    IN
    So...Do we have a chopper and a pilot yet?
     
  9. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I agree completely, but there are not enough hunters to successfully reduce the population. The hogs breed faster than the hunters can kill them
     
  10. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Even as we speak a buddy of mine and his Dad are out in Texas with some other guys hunting them.

    Gary
     
    Backwoods Savage and TurboDiesel like this.
  11. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,286
    Likes Received:
    66,683
    Location:
    IN
    I know, and its only going to get worse. More hogs, fewer hunters - a lot fewer hunters I'm afraid.

    Found this on the intewebs, don't know if it is true, but I believe it:

    "In 1970, over 40 million Americans purchased hunting licenses. Today, the number is 12.6 million. This trend is likely to continue. Almost 50% of hunters are over age 47."

    This was published in 2014 so the number is probably already quite a bit lower.
     
    Backwoods Savage and TurboDiesel like this.
  13. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Need to put a bounty on hogs.
    Or find a way to take them to market.:yes:
    Of course the government would want there share, so that would only make it worse...:doh:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  14. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,286
    Likes Received:
    66,683
    Location:
    IN
    Just market it as organic pork and you can charge triple.
     
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    They would run the yotes out fast.
     
    TurboDiesel and savemoney like this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    It could be true. In MI the DNR has been fighting the trend of not so many license sold and according to them within the next 10 years the sales will be only 50% of what they are now.
     
    TurboDiesel and savemoney like this.