In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Oak on the menu today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by swags, Feb 12, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Brought home a load today, red and white oak. Really need to get my trailer back then I can get bigger loads. Will need to start splitting before too long. Have about 4 cord waiting to be split right now.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Chestnut oak? my eyes may be failing me;)
     
  3. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,510
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Just keep toten' home Swags there will be plenty of time to split.
     
    papadave likes this.
  4. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Could be, I know the majority of the load was red oak, then one 14' white oak log. The pieces on top could be chestnut oak. That was another pole I cut from the top of a pile of red oak. It had a shaggy bark but looked like a type of oak. I am not familiar with chestnut oak.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  5. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I saw bit of the attached leaves looked like chestnut, a couple of the top pieces are white oak.
    All the same relative BTU's -nice load
     
    tfdchief likes this.
  6. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Still lots of it there, hoping to get the trailer back this week and I can go get a few loads of poles for the G2G.
     
    papadave and BrianK like this.
  7. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Wow bud that is awesome! I'm just a bit jealous :thumbs:
     
  8. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Here is the pile I was cutting from today. About 5 times that behind it yet. Place has been picked pretty hard in the last week though. Three dump truck and a few trailer loads out of there today. Scavengers have arrived!
     

    Attached Files:

    papadave and Certified106 like this.
  9. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Get that trailer out there and get after it!
     
    papadave likes this.
  10. Tang

    Tang

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    130
    Location:
    North Central Ohio
    Ya know, with all the northern ohio members on here, you could probably put out a call out for a Saturday firewood rescue day and have a bunch of firewood hauling vehicles show up for the cause.

    Just to make sure all that precious wood was going to a proper home where it would be CSS for a minimum of 3 years!!
     
    papadave, Chvymn99 and swags like this.
  11. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Been trying to get Dex out here, he needs the wood and would out it to the proper 3 yr plan. Timing just hasn't worked out yet.
     
    tfdchief likes this.
  12. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    If I lived closer I would come cut with you guys but three hours one way is a bit much lol
     
  13. Tang

    Tang

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    130
    Location:
    North Central Ohio
    I'm probably not too far away - live just outside of Mansfield. Get a few folks interested and I could probably put in a half day on Saturday or Sunday! Of course, haven't cleared this with the boss.
     
  14. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice load of BTUs there :thumbs:

    Got chains for the trailer ? :) :confused:

    Get it while the getting is good.
    Work at a good safe pace ;)
     
    papadave likes this.
  15. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I'll be out there Saturday for sure, hoping to make it most of the day. Welcome to come up if you want. I just need to. Are sure I'll have my trailer back. Shop told me I would have it back this past Monday.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  16. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Tang if you come out bring a trailer and we will send a big load home with you.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    WOW ! Good for you for being motivated to go out in this bitter cold !!
     
  18. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Love cutting in this weather, usually end up in just a sweatshirt. Working and moving gets the blood flowing and I end up getting hot with my coat on.
     
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  19. Tang

    Tang

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    130
    Location:
    North Central Ohio
    Thanks for the offer swags - i have a 16x7 dual 3500lb axle trailer. Can't haul a ton of weight but between that and my 8' bed, i could snag a fair amount of wood!

    Of course, it now looks like I'm going to be working Saturday morning. I'll know for certain tomorrow - if I'm coming i'll let you know so I can get directions.
     
  20. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh

    Sunday is open for me. Gotta work 3-11 Sat. Have not worked that shift in 5 yrs, but a buddy needs that day off for his Sons 1st B-day. So I stepped up and I will work his shift.

    I went from a good solid 3 year plan, to a 2 year plan. Which 2 yr old ash is still good.

    The entire reason was leg and back pain. Last Dec 27th (almost 14 months ago) my leg started to hurt. It has not stopped since. So instead of cutting last Spring? I procrastinated. Finally got a log load, but still gave away wood this year :( So my supply has depleted a little . Goes to show that staying ahead is a good thing. I lost a year because of an ailment, but not to far behind.

    Gonna try and get another log load as soon as I can get this wood split (80% split) and stacked. But until then, I could stand to cut some more. :D

    As for Sciatica. Some days are good, and some days are bad. The bad days are really bad... :mad:
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.