In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Season?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by creek chub, Jan 1, 2017.

  1. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    happy new year fellow fhc members!

    I worked up a load of red oak yesterday that was a fairly recent blowdown. A good portion of the tree had what I assume are some type of fungi growing on it. The wood was very wet when split and stacked. Does anyone think or know if the presence of fungi add to the drying time?
     
    Loon, Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  2. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    I would think it would not matter that much. I hate mold on the stacks as it indicates presence of constant moisture. Guessing once you stack it will dry out and disappear.
     
  3. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    May get some more mold growing if it stays damp thru winter but the summer sun should take car of it.
    Off the ground, top covered with good air circulation is the best you can do.

    pics?
     
    creek chub, papadave and Horkn like this.
  4. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Some of the dead standing beech I have been burning has some sort of fungi on it. The stove doesn't care.
    As to drying time if it has fungi? I don't think it changes anything. The fungi might actually speed up drying time because it lives off of moisture.
     
    creek chub and Backwoods Savage like this.
  5. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,347
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Burn away once the wood is seasoned; worry not about the fungus among us.

    But remember to be like Clinton when you're around it......don't inhale.
     
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I just burned up some Oak I cut up a couple year ago that was loaded with fungi. It burned great.
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    I doubt the fungi has any bearing on the drying time. I say worry not.
     
    creek chub, yooperdave and papadave like this.
  8. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    I didn't get any pics but will the next time I'm over at the farm
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.