In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ironwood, right?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodsnwoods, Jan 1, 2017.

  1. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    I have three or four of these guys that are about 60 feet tall with a 10-14 inch diameter at the base. I have 20-30 of the same tree I the 8 inch minus range. Planning to mill the larger few this summer, once I figure out what I will do with them. Ironwood though right? IMG_4140.JPG IMG_4141.JPG IMG_4142.JPG
     
  2. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,455
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Yes, that's ironwood. It's really dense, whatever you mill out of them will be HARD.
     
  3. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

  4. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    I may use a few slabs for stair treads on a welcome area I am going to build. It's s half story set of stairs for mudroom area before you enter the house.
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  6. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,352
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Looks like it.

    Hope to see some pics of the milling process....:yes:
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Most definitely ironwood. But I've never heard musclewood (blue beech) called ironwood.
     
    Woodsnwoods and Horkn like this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I have young feller........I've been cutting wood fer :zip: eight years so ya better pay attention.
    [​IMG]
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Yuppers, I am! I think it is a regional thing. Sort of like popple is.
     
  10. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    No cinnamon rolls for you Sav, if you don't watch your P's & Q's. :rofl: :lol:
     
    Woodsnwoods and Horkn like this.
  11. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,352
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Always rocking the boat....:picard:
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    After the meal tonight Backwoods Savage 's portion is saved...........not for long.
     
    Locust Post and Woodsnwoods like this.
  13. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    [​IMG]
     
    yooperdave and Woodsnwoods like this.