In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I know what I did last summer - Lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Oct 25, 2016.

  1. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Howdy folks. Been away for a bit, but it's that time of year again! Stayed pretty busy all summer. Not much in the way of firewooding, but I managed to keep myself occupied.

    Bushogged all this with a 5' deck this spring
    [​IMG]
    Spent a fair share of time looking over this hood on various projects
    [​IMG]
    Lots of time and sweat spent hunting the not so elusive wild grape vines
    [​IMG]
    Opened a trail back up that has been feral for about 5 years...they get nasty pretty fast
    [​IMG]
    Found a buddy under the old International during some of my weedeating
    [​IMG]
    Found the neighbor's tree stand & feeder...25' off the property line
    [​IMG]
    Lots of these on the sandbar
    [​IMG]
    Put the boat dock in. I have no boat to park here right now.
    [​IMG]
     
  2. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,658
    Likes Received:
    130,760
    Location:
    Vermont
    wow nice pics! make me change my opinion of Ohio!
     
  3. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Gave the tractor it's spring bath after finishing up bushogging chores
    [​IMG]
    Rode my motorbike (reccuring) somewhere on the Ohio River
    [​IMG]
    Found another buddy while working in the woods
    [​IMG]
    Discovered that Olive has finally found my woods...dammit
    [​IMG]
    Taking a break from cutting vines...quite a few of those in this summer's heat
    [​IMG]
    Tore my motorbike down past my comfort level to do some modifications
    [​IMG]
    More vines
    [​IMG]
    A vine slayer's loadout
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Wonder why Kubota got rid of this logo? I like it! Found on an old B model
    [​IMG]
    Neglected trail. It's smooth and wide open now
    [​IMG]
    Some of those vines get pretty chunky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh boy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,658
    Likes Received:
    130,760
    Location:
    Vermont
    Geesh, RCBS when did ya have time for the J O B? :thumbs:
     
  6. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    More riding
    [​IMG]
    Took the Kayak out on the big river
    [​IMG]
    Went on first organized ride. Met a bunch a great folks!
    [​IMG]
    More trail work
    [​IMG]
    Used the top to fill in a washout
    [​IMG]
    Can't believe how thick it got back here. I don't frequent this valley. That is/was an established trail.
    [​IMG]
    I will get this open at some point
    [​IMG]
     
  7. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Pulled this pine out of another tree. It was smiling after I cut it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Trailered the bike down to Deal's Gap for some riding. (wow) At the Tapoco Lodge
    [​IMG]
    Fontana Dam
    [​IMG]
    From the top down
    [​IMG]
    Drove on part of the Trail of Tears accidentally while lost in NC/TN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    300 corners just like this...in a 10 mile stretch!
    [​IMG]
     
    milleo, savemoney, bassJAM and 7 others like this.
  8. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Possibly largest grape vine I have found
    [​IMG]
    Did a little shooting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aim for the face!
    [​IMG]
    Went to Paul Bunyan Show
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't leave empty handed
    [​IMG]
    Cut and split first load couple weeks ago...here we go again!
    [​IMG]
    Just starting a ressurection project with this old Echo trimmer...she's gonna be a runner!
    [​IMG]

    There's lots more, but I sometimes forget to snap a pic. Hope everyone's summer was as good as mine! Got lots done and had me some good times!

    How did you all spend the warm (hot) months?
     
  9. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    It's like everywhere else...it only sucks if you live here! :) It's not all bad.

    I know, right? This Job thingy is getting in the way of me playing in the woods! :tractor:
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,996
    Likes Received:
    312,288
    Location:
    Central MI
    Spent lots of the summer months sweating! Tried to get caught up on lots of jobs that have been put off. Some get put off again until next summer. Wood cutting will begin in about a month or so here.
     
  11. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Ah yes...the privilege of owning land! :D Always, always another something needing to be done. I was hitting the forestry practices hard this summer. That made me need an old trail opened for access, which was a chore all in itself. I must love doing it though? I always go back for more! I tend to slack off more in the summer months than I did this past year. I like to wait for cooler temps usually. A couple of really hot days I found myself asking "what are you doing out here in this heat with all these bugs?". 2-3 hours on those days and I'm done.

    Sadly, my firewood prospects aren't that good this season so far. Nary a decent log laying anywhere. The wind usually keeps me stocked with some good blowdowns but this year they are scarce.
     
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,996
    Likes Received:
    312,288
    Location:
    Central MI
    Hope you have enough wood put up for the winter. Yes, trail work is one of those jobs that never seem to get done. By the time you get them all cleared, you have to start all over again.
     
  13. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    I'm actually a bit ahead, but want to get further ahead yet. I have this winter's and 3/4s of next winter already CS...just haven't done the other S yet! Ha! I have figured out that with the amount of trails and the terrain I'm dealing with...I need a dozer. I've always *wanted one, but I really think it's justified at this point!
     
  14. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,996
    Likes Received:
    312,288
    Location:
    Central MI
    Dozer can come in handy. We've been toying with the idea of getting a tractor. It's been years....
     
  15. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Tractor does great grooming, but a lot of stuff needs improved/repaired. Stuff that would take days on the tractor would take hours with a dozer. I've had them there before but they were rentals and always have had to prioritize stuff needing done. The outfit that rented them no longer does. They were local and very reasonable.
     
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,996
    Likes Received:
    312,288
    Location:
    Central MI
    I agree and have run many of both but thankfully, many years ago. Still, sometimes there are needs to have the machinery!
     
  17. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,181
    Likes Received:
    166,507
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    You've been busy.

    Unfortunately you happened to find the spare carriage bolt with your tractor tire.
    :doh:

    What did you mod on the triumph? Airbox mod?

    I'll need to hit up the Dragon someday on the bike.
     
  18. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,780
    Likes Received:
    66,357
    Location:
    Central PA
    Welcome back buddy! Looks like you've been as busy as the rest of us!

    Great pics, good to see you again......
     
    savemoney, Backwoods Savage and RCBS like this.
  19. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,354
    Likes Received:
    31,687
    Location:
    Over here
    Yes you do! Some tips I picked up: Go middle of week (for obvious reasons), Go spring or fall (been told it's a madhouse all summer long), Check to make sure there are no Club events going on. (250 corvettes makes for a busy road)

    Believe it or not, I had to go that far in to put on some radiator shrouds and LED signals! I also put on some new mufflers and had to reprogram my ECU...that was interesting!

    Thank you! It's good to be back! Most folks I know look at me funny when I tell them what I did over the weekend. People here understand the struggle of firewooding and working with/on your land...and persuasions towards BTUs, tractors, chainsaws, splitters and all things related! My kind of folks!
     
  20. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Great pics, welcome back Ohio hillbilly, wait you just said you live in the hilly part......got all your teeth still ? :D Summer thread, just thought I would check if it's summer teeth too. "Some'er teeth and some ain't"
    Got the stove kickin yet ?
     
    Backwoods Savage and savemoney like this.