In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Recuttin, splittin and a stackin

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by HDRock, Oct 21, 2016.

  1. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Real nice working out there when it's 49 degrees :thumbs:
    :saw::axe::stacke:

    20161021_144343.jpg 20161021_161712.jpg
     
  2. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Kind of damp out but, no bugs and no sweating:thumbs:
     
  3. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    That's better than restackin, splitting and cutting.
     
    Horkn, gboutdoors, Thor and 4 others like this.
  4. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Looking good Rock:yes: Got a large pond out back right now which is new.:whistle: Calling for lots more tomorrow also.
     
    Horkn, gboutdoors, Thor and 5 others like this.
  5. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    We have had plenty of rain in the last month, rain yesterday but, nothing like the storms going up through your neck of the woods.
    I saw the radar:singingintherain:
     
    Horkn, Mag Craft, gboutdoors and 4 others like this.
  6. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good work temps

    Looking good !

    with so many saws, you should let us know which one you are using
     
    Horkn, gboutdoors, Thor and 3 others like this.
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Gotta use more than one  :dex: :D mostly the CS 352, sweet little saw, and the 445 a little , they take care of this stuff no problem
     
    Horkn, gboutdoors, Thor and 3 others like this.
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Sometimes I think it's easier cutting, felling and limbing, bucking a tree than dealing with all these oddball lengths and the chunks left over
     
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  9. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    No such thing as easy firewood
    Though
    Some is easier than other
     
    oldspark, Horkn, Ralphie Boy and 7 others like this.
  10. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    :rofl: :lol::thumbs:
     
    Hammy, HDRock and Thor like this.
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    True dat, it is easier than draggin it out of the woods a long way though
     
  12. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    HDRock, Hammy, Thor and 2 others like this.
  13. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    I'm still recutting splits. I still have a bunch of wood, oak and hickory, I cut, split and stacked 5+ years ago for an open fireplace, that I have to shorten for the stove. I just finished about a cord of white oak and earlier I did about a half cord if silver maple. I've just about got all the too long stuff cut to stove length. Soon I can start on all my dead standing ash.
     
  14. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    TE="HDRock, post: 562139, member: 72"]Sometimes I think it's easier cutting, felling and limbing, bucking a tree than dealing with all these oddball lengths and the chunks left over[/QUOTE]
    Ain't dat da truf!!
     
    HDRock, Hammy, Thor and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Mo truf!!
     
    HDRock, Hammy, Thor and 1 other person like this.
  16. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Gooder work HD!


    Yes, recutting sucks.
     
    HDRock, Hammy and Thor like this.
  17. Redneck

    Redneck

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,486
    Likes Received:
    13,641
    Location:
    Burton mi
    I dont look at it as recutting, splitting and stacking.
    You pick it up cut to what ever size it is so when you get it home you are cutting it for the first time not recutting. And you always have to split and stack.:tree::axe::stacke: = :coldfire:
     
    HDRock, Hammy, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  18. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I had to recut splits when I got a different stove too
     
  19. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's true too,, you just end up with more chunks.
    What is kind of pain is, some people don't cut the limbs flush, it's hard to stick with Nubs sticking out, if you are limbing a tree this is not a big deal, if you have a 16 or 20 inch long round not that big around , you have to cut them off without the thing jumping up on you, I put them in my one jig but that doesn't work that great either.
    I was just thinking, I should probably try and clamp them in the splitter, never thought of that before:doh:
     
    Canadian border VT likes this.
  20. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,630
    Location:
    Vermont
    OK for dummies like me that translates too always buy new stove with bigger firebox not smaller ... got it! how much ya got to re size?
     
    Ralphie Boy and HDRock like this.