In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Red maple

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by creek chub, Oct 18, 2016.

  1. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,360
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    With the splits the size that they are, You'll probably be fine.

    (Just like everyone else has said!)
     
    NH mountain man and creek chub like this.
  2. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Like said you would probably be ok, I would definitely top cover it though.
    If you plan on burning wood sooner than later, top cover
     
  3. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    No problem for next winter; Dries really quick. I also like it better than Silver Maple.
     
  4. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Burning some dead standing Red Maple right now and with the secondary's rolling its close to about the same temp as the Elm. May not last as long but sure am liking the maple so far creek.:yes:
     
  5. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    I try to split everything big, so it barely squeezes through the door. I cut down to 2-3 inches, so I have plenty of small stuff for the smaller fires. I have a few 2 year old 12 inch rounds of 22 inch hickory that I am going to check this weekend. Going to split one and check dead center with the Mm. I hate opening the door and hearing a sizzling noise :dex:
     
  6. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    That's good news!
    I'm gonna gonna go into nerd mode and actually plot the mc by month they next winter just to see how the stacks dry out.
     
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    :popcorn::coffee:
    I'm not even close to getting into the Red Maple yet. Been too mild.
    Only used about 1/3 "face" so far of Ash kindling and Pine splits.
    Normally go through more than double that by this time in Oct.
     
    NH mountain man, creek chub and Loon like this.