In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Voltaran topical

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Oct 13, 2016.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Anyone here with rheumatoid arthritis tried this? It is for osteo but my aunt gave me some to try. It is basically topical ibuprofen.....

    Elbows are flaring so I used some. Not sure but I think it helped?....Any input appreciated!

    tfdchief and others?
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Got some from a friend a while back, and I've used it when my knees really bug me.
    It does help, but I've got osteo.
    Comes with a little measuring strip that I don't use, as I think that's too much.
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  3. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Used to help my mother's rumatoid arthritis. I tried it on my osteo with so so results. I actually found more relief on flare ups using Aleve tablets.
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    She did not give me a card with the tube. Agreed, it looks like a long strip on the cards, gotta keep the refills coming in, huh? I used it again today.
     
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I get confused with my elbows, not sure if its synovial, nomatic tendenitis, bursitis, or rheumatoid nodules. I get all of them :eek: Stupid Sclero and RA:heidi: I know what's going on with my other joints but the elbow is so pointy and complex, you know?

    Doubled my prednisone yesterday and today, next rheumy checkup Nov 18th. I already asked for extra flare pred. 40mg for 5 days, then taper for 5 days back to down to 5mg maintenance.
     
    tfdchief and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,654
    Likes Received:
    130,738
    Location:
    Vermont
    I got rhumatoid and osteoporosis so I am a lucky guy... very little works well .. mom had both too she had gold shots that helped her a lot... what works best for me is ibuprofen and umm jack Daniels..
     
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I am sorry to hear CBVT, Rheumatoid sucks!! Osteo arthritis or osteoporosis? My loving father has more aggressive RA, he said gold shots were wonderful in the several decades ago, but they are not available in his area anymore. I found some clinics that still did them about 15 years ago, but the drive was too far. So, he remains on MTX, biologics, and pred. Such is life huh?
     
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,991
    Likes Received:
    312,254
    Location:
    Central MI
    Never heard of the stuff. Where do you get it and is it expensive?

    I just changed from Celebrex to Mobic. Doing much better so far and it hasn't eaten my stomach yet. That is the main worry as I've already lost 75% of my stomach so we have to be careful.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Good Lord. I didn't realize there were so many of us on here who have RA.

    I have not heard of this stuff wildwest. Going to look it up. I am on Plaquinil and prednisone. Was on Embrel, but since I retired I can't afford it on Medicare.
    My wife and daughter both have RA worse than me. I think my grandmother and Aunt had it too although back then they just said it was arthritis.
    I will pray for ALL of you as I know the struggle everyday. I think fatigue is the worst thing for me. But hey, I'm alive and still cutting firewood, God willing for a long time. Chief
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    PART_1476496300548_IMG_20161014_195055256.jpg
    I am curious why they have not changed you other anti inflammatories rather than NSAIDS (Celebrex, Mobic) if its eating your stomach. Stomach ulcers?....... Polio meds or NSAIDS? Asprin was the go to drug awhile back......


    Absolutely ask about this stuff, its the same thing as the meds you are on but in a lotion form so it does not go through the stomach. Except I do not know if it will sink in to your hip joint that deep. Either way its worth a try?

    It is prescription. Not sure on the cost but I was told its less expensive to buy them in a 6 pack rather than one tube at a time.... I will follow up after my Nov 18 rheumy appt.
     
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Backwoods Savage and tfdchief like this.
  11. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Second day using it. Y E S, it definatly helps. :yes:
     
    Backwoods Savage and tfdchief like this.
  12. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Interesting, I am Plaquenil and prednisone too. Check out Methotrexate if the plaquenil is not enough for you, its reallllllly CHEAP compared to embrel and humera and the others....I dont take MTX because I feel I am borderline on needing it, and don't tolerate it well, I get a few sick days for a few better days, not my style, but others do quite well on it (including my father who is doing the injectible (in the thigh if I remember correctly).

    Definately look Voltaran up, I am quite impressed after only 2 days. And doubling my pred?.... I took 10mg yesterday and today, not the 40mg usually given to me for flares, so its the gel lotion, not the pred. Cool, huh?
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,654
    Likes Received:
    130,738
    Location:
    Vermont

    Osteo arthritis.. yeah, degen. disk disease too... it's all good .. got me on some all natural vitamins cause the side effects of drugs for me worse then disease.. yup my body is wired different 2 cups of coffee to fall asleep yup it relaxes me.. they tried me on medical THC pills made me mad and agressive... pregnazone that the worse...

    but cortisone shots work in the joints so I'm still moving:D my heart goes out to you guys though...
     
  14. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,550
    Likes Received:
    141,583
    Location:
    US
    Well..... I'm sorry for all that I've read about here, I have my own pains, but what y'all have been dealing with is overwhelming to me.
    I too will pray for my FHC family, some of y'all are closer family to me than most of my own blood.
    :)
     
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,991
    Likes Received:
    312,254
    Location:
    Central MI
    I will be asking about it for sure. I also have a druggist friend who I'll be asking.

    Actually, the stomach is the reason I can not take most of the anti-inflammatory medicine. When they came out with Vioxx and Celebrex, those were a big saver for me. Celebrex did not work nearly as well as Vioxx so I took that and it really was a wonder drug. Trouble is, a few people had some heart problems after taking it so they took it of the market. That was a sad day for both of us so we had to turn to Celebrex. It did nothing for my poor wife and helped me just a little. So far though the Mobic is working better and no stomach problems so I'll no doubt continue. This is a one month test right now. And yes, I guess my stomach was really badly ulcerated. Doctor told me it looked more like leather rather than a normal stomach. They took 50% of it the first time then later had to take half of what was left. I was not able to eat for 2 months. They told my wife I would not go home and twice they told her I would not last the night. I fooled the dummies though! :yes:
     
    Viking80, wildwest and Eric VW like this.