In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Shoulder Season

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by firecracker_77, Oct 8, 2013.

1. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Had fires the last 2 days in the evening. Finally cooling down at night here. Burning less than fully seasoned oak and cherry. It's doing ok once the coals form. Have to keep the air control wide open for a long time to get enough fire.

2. blujacket

blujacket

Got awhile yet for me. Probably mid Nov before I light one off

3. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

We had a fire in the NZ3000 last night, just before bedtime. Kept coals and I threw a couple pieces of soft maple on right before work this morning....will probably be doing the same again tonight.

Firecracker, just be careful using that less-than-ideal wood....I know we preach about it all the time, I just don't want to see you have problems with creosote in your flue or worse.....

4. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries

Fired up for the 3rd time in 2 weeks last night. Getting into the 40s at night, and depending on how "warm" it gets during the day (50s/60s), we may light up. Been mostly using the soft maple and saving the ash, oak, and cherry for when the real cold weather rolls in.

papadave likes this.
  5. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I've gotten some pallet rejects from a local pallet manufacturer that will hopefully cook us some chilli if the house is still cool enough for a fire.

6. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Scotty...I'm gonna' order that chimney brush that you can do from stove level up with the rods that connects to a drill. Probably sweep more than once a season if it's easy.

By the way, I'm curious about your set-up. So it's basically pumping heat throughout the house via ductwork?

papadave likes this.
  7. papadave

papadave

Been having pine and Poplar fires for over 3 weeks.
    Put some soft Maple in last night too.

milleo and Blue2ndaries like this.
  8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

We ha
    We have been burning on and off for a few weeks. Got one going right now as a matter of fact its nice in the house now. The temp inside was 58f so the wife wanted to be warm who am I to argue I get to play with fire ;)

milleo, firecracker_77 and Trilifter7 like this.
  9. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

I just fired up the stove last night. Didn't really need to since it was 70 in the house but it was a low of 43 outside so I couldn't resist. I was surprised at how strong my draft was at such moderate temps. Loaded a few pieces thru the top without any smoke coming into the room!

10. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

We've been burning for 3 nights and Sunday morning.

Trilifter7 likes this.
  11. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Yeah...it's nice to have one and then keep the temps from dropping too low. Short burst of heat.

concretegrazer likes this.
  12. milleo

milleo

Cooling off here too...

Attached Files:

Trilifter7 and firecracker_77 like this.
  13. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I have been using storage bins too. Keep kindling inside to make sure it stays dry.

14. Mr A

Mr A

Mid 70's daytime, low 50's at night. Outside temps down to low 60's early evening, so I opened all the windows, placed fans in front of the windows to draw in cool air and lit one up. At bed time I'll shut the windows, turn down the air control and was a nice and toasty 70 inside in the morning. I loaded a chunk of fruitless mulberry, foot long by 8 inches or so, last night about 11pm. Now, at 1:25 pm, the next day, I still have coals! Guess I replaced all my gaskets correctly. Temps are steadily dropping, dipped to 49 last night, near Sacramento, CA. I wasn't so sure about fruitless mulberry, it being a fast growing, hybrid tree different than north american mulberry, it's from China, lol, like most everything else these days. Seems to be pretty good stuff, I Hope so, I just moved a cord of it into the garage. Curious, are native eastern mulberry trees fast growing?

15. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

image.jpg
    Not sure if its the native species, but a fruited tree I transplanted from an abandoned house. This year it had its tenth birthday.

16. Mr A

Mr A

According to wikipedia, the chinese and north american varieties are similar enough to pollinate each other.

17. Mr A

Mr A

The chinese have pinkish berries, natives have a darker fruit

18. NW Walker

NW Walker

Low mid 50s daytime highs lately here, low 40s at night. I've been burning daily for weeks now, usually one burn in the evening but sometimes a morning fire too. I think I just overshot though, it's 80°F in here and I'm about to open the front door.

19. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Then this is native, purple berries.