In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Simple saw tuning tips...

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by brenndatomu, Sep 17, 2016.

  1. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,195
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Having acquired a new to me PP4218AV saw this week after losing one to a trashed cylinder/piston earlier in the year, I'd like to make sure the carb settings are optimal without screwing with it too much...which is my usual route, mess with it until I'm happy with the way it runs and the plug color. Anyways, a while back someone posted a very simple tuning technique here (no tach or anything needed) and I have been unsuccessful at locating that little tidbit of info now that I want it. Anybody?
     
    Chvymn99, Eric VW and papadave like this.
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Not sure, either.....I need to start using the "Bookmark" button more often. My pea brain can't keep track of everything anymore.:rofl: :lol:
     
    Chvymn99, Barcroftb and brenndatomu like this.
  3. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,195
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Yeah, I just stumbled across the "notepad" the other day too...gotta use that
     
  4. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,626
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Saw Carb Tuning

    Pretty good procedure here that, although it mentions a tach, doesn't really require one. Not sure if it's the one you're looking for or not.
     
    pantelis, HDRock, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  5. saskwoodburner

    saskwoodburner

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2015
    Messages:
    2,612
    Likes Received:
    14,907
    Location:
    middle of nowhere Saskatchewan, Canada
    The only complaint I ever have with these saw tuning sheets (step 9), is they advise to run the saw rich on the high side, and then run it lean on the high side. You don't need to put your hand in the fire to know what hot is.:D
     
    Barcroftb and brenndatomu like this.
  6. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,195
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I was kinda thinking the same thing, they tell you to go lean, then rich, then set it where it runs good (basically) I'm thinking the only reason to find lean and then rich is if you are gonna set it right in the middle of the two...which like they said, that's usually the ballpark of where you end up anyways...but still, why bother to find too lean? I guess my usual procedure is not too far off. Richen it until it 4 strokes, then lean it out just enough to get it to clean up (2 stroking) when cutting
     
    saskwoodburner likes this.
  7. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    Notepad? Please elaborate for the ignorant.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  8. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,753
    Location:
    KC Metro
    HDRock and Barcroftb like this.
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
  10. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,195
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    If you hover the mouse pointer on your user name at the top right of the screen, a list of options pops up, on the right lower side of the list is "your bookmarks" and then last but not least, "notes". Notes is just a place where you can write yourself notes and then save it for CRS days later on.
     
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Screenshot_20160917-162352.png




    Screenshot_20160917-162643.png
     
    Chvymn99, bushpilot and brenndatomu like this.