In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wall Mount Pellet stove issue - see vid. Anyone know this problem?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Aug 14, 2016.

1. don2222

don2222

Hi
    US Stove model 4840 running on heat level one only.
    Any idea what the fix may be?

This stove is new and It did work the first time!
    It puts out a lot more heat than the window stove because it has a triple pass heat exchanger where the window stove does not. The top baffle inside the fire box is much heavier than the window stove and it comes out for easy cleaning. :)
    Here is what I tried so far
    1. Changed both RTD ( Resistance Temperature Detector) sensors. There is one in the convection air path behind the grill and one in the exhaust housing that turns on the convection blower. It appears that the RTD sensor behind the grill in the path of the room air will keep the heat level on 1 if it does not close the circuit for safety because it is connected to 2 lugs on the main board labeled T-Stat.
    2. Swapped out main board with 2 other main boards but all 3 have the same revision date.
    2011-03-18
    3. Checked all other safety switches. Vacuum switch and hose, door switch and hopper lid switch.
    See video and pics below:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  2. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

cant help you, Don.....not a fan of the brand.

lordmetalz28 and imacman like this.
  3. don2222

don2222

I think the design of the stove is greatly improved, it is much safer and has triple wall venting similar to Direct Temp DT and triple pass heat exchanger so it is very efficient and puts out a lot more heat compared to the window mount stove. The profile is very slim and is great for tight spaces!
    I really believe some necessary firmware changes should be made here for the convection blower RTD sensor to function properly without causing a big fuss. :) I.E. The RTD sensors cannot be jumped out to get the stove going. Way too much safety and not enough functionality!

4. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Do you have another keypad to swap and try?

5. don2222

don2222

Yes we did try that.

Thanks for asking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Ribbon cable too?

7. don2222

don2222

Yes, there is a new rev b ribbon cable from the display to the main board.
    The improvement was having a bare ground wire going to the same pins as the black wire.

As you can see in the video that the heat levels 2-5 do light up so it does seem that the cable and display board is functioning properly.

Thanks for asking

Attached Files:

8. don2222

don2222

More info from US Stove.
    The best test it to see if the stove works properly with the remote control because the software will not allow you to jumper out the T-Stat terminals on the main board to get the stove working. Since the remote control talks to the display board and bypasses the keypad, then if the remote control does not work, the Display board or the Cable from the display board to the main board is at fault. If the remote works, then the keypad buttons must be replaced. This is what US stove support says, I would still like to see a logic diagram of the firmware functions but I am sure that is not accessible or available to US Stove or to US.
    I will try a new display board and cable and see what happens. I have done everything else possible and that did not work.
    However the new Convection RTD sensor fixed the shutdown problem where it took over an hour to shut down because there was a king and fray in the wire from the this sensor to the main control board.

9. CleanFire

CleanFire

I know this is basic and may not apply Don - on our small stove, it needs a lot of airflow to get the stove up to operating temp., so I would be re-checking / verifying clear intake / exhaust paths & good combustion blower operation, if at all suspect, here.

10. don2222

don2222

Thanks Clean Fire
    I did check all the venting and cleaned the exhaust chambers in the stove,
    I also told US stove that having the one RTD sensor they sell to replace all the RTD sensors does not cut the mustard when replacing the exhaust Housing RTD sensor in the wall mount stove because the leads at 22 inches too short! ! !

CleanFire likes this.
  11. CleanFire

CleanFire

Well that's just plain silly Don - that would be about 21 inches short of a six-pack here. :D

12. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Good ole US Stove! :doh:

jtakeman likes this.
  13. lordmetalz28

lordmetalz28

Four us stoves in two years.( yes four!)all warrantied units, not one worked. A warrantied bucket of chit if you ask me. My final repair was to sell the last warrantied unit as brand new in box and buy a harman

Lousyweather likes this.
  14. don2222

don2222

What model US Stoves did you have?

15. lordmetalz28

lordmetalz28

16. don2222

don2222

I know that stove very well, it is nice looking but the convection blower motor is suspended on top of the squirrel cage and it seems to get noisey and wear out a little faster. The new Ashley P 5660 I did a warranty repair because there was a burr in the vacuum hose port where it went into the back of the firewall. I just stuck a stiff wire in it and then the stove worked fine. What problems did you encounter?

17. lordmetalz28

lordmetalz28

Burn pot warping on every stove, board malfunction. I had one stove that wouldnt recognize the safteys you could actually disconnect any saftey and the stove would run like nothing happened. I also had premature part failure on every unit. I mean it just goes on and on. Its amazing there still in buisness

18. lordmetalz28

lordmetalz28

Also warped and cracked heat exchanger also

19. don2222

don2222

Wow, those are quite some issues. I know the stoves that Tractor Supply sell come right from China, that is why the prices are so low.

Lousyweather likes this.
  20. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

low price = great deal, right? :loco: :crazy: