In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Questions about growing some oak trees.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by schlot, Aug 16, 2016.

  1. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    A coworker gave me 5 oak samplings grown from acorns, 3 years ago. I have 4 left. Hopefully someone can give me a little advice.

    I was wondering when and if I should pick a leader on both of these and cut off the other? They are about 24" to 30" tall and you can see the thickness of the trunk compared to my finger.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I figured they are getting close to being where I can trim them. I figured later this fall after the growing season would be a good time.

    Any advice?
     
    NortheastAl and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Hmmm, wonder if someone like clemsonfor would have an idea?
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  3. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    That's a fine time to do it , that's when I do a great deal of pruning around the office , with the leaves off I can see what I want to remove and how to shape the tree .
     
    NortheastAl, schlot and papadave like this.
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I have a "volunteer" Oak in the driveway turnaround that was about 3' tall until something chomped it down to nothing. It's now growing again and doing well, but not as tall with the drought.
    The ones in the woods seem to grow quite well w/o my assistance, and there are tons of 'em out there.
    That looks like a healthy stem by your finger. I think I might consider taking off that side shoot on the left. Don't take it off right at the main stem though, leave a little nub.
     
    NortheastAl, schlot and will711 like this.
  5. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Thanks guys. On the top tree I was thinking I'd prune the right one and on the bottom tree I'd prune the left one.

    Since this is out in the back yard there is little competition so I thought I should pick one leader it can focus it's energy on.
     
    papadave, will711 and NortheastAl like this.
  6. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Yup good idea , I worked at an Xmas tree farm back in the day and that was the idea
     
    schlot and papadave like this.
  7. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    From what I've read on the trimming topic I guess the current trend is early spring trimming because the wound healing cells are fastest growing just after leafing out. Leave the branch collar on the tree and don't dress the cut. Trim before a branch is 1 inch in diameter. And if trimming anything over 18" in diameter please deliver to my back yard.
     
    papadave and schlot like this.