In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Connecting Duraplus DVL stovepipe to the 30-NC

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bushpilot, Jul 30, 2016.

  1. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    In my recent purchase, I included the following:

    https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-dvl-adapter-section-no-damper-6dvl-ad-6733.html

    I was expecting to be able to use this to interface between my Englander 30-NC stove and the DVL pipe, but the crimped section of the adapter is quite a bit smaller than the stove outlet ring, and therfore the adapter does not fit snugly into it. There is maybe 1/4 difference in the two diameters (I did not measure it).

    Is there something else I need?
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
  3. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
  4. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    What is the inside diameter of the stove collar ??
     
    bushpilot likes this.
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    That adapter will fit inside the collar, then your pipe will go inside that adapter.
    The adapter I linked will fit the stove collar better than what you have. The crimped section is larger.
    Your DW stove pipe should fit the adapter I linked.
    Take a measurement of the crimped portion of your pipe....not your adapter.
    Your adapter's crimped section is only 5 5/8", and the ID of the stove collar is slightly over 6" if I remember correctly.
     
    bushpilot and will711 like this.
  6. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    Six inches.
    Correct on both counts. So what is "my" adaptor actually needed for?
     
  7. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Looking at again they part you bought is what you need , you got DVL pipe the double wall correct ?? the adapter that papadave suggested is for the single wall dura black pipe . If you want a tighter fit wrap the crimped end rope stove gasket or use some rtv silicone that make will make it more permanent to the stove .
     
    bushpilot likes this.
  8. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Just watched the vid at northline of how to install DVL pipe he didn't use anything on the adapter just slid inside stove collar . IMO you got the right parts and you should be good to go .
     
    bushpilot likes this.
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yep. Gooder idea.
     
    bushpilot and will711 like this.
  10. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    Reply received from Northline Express today:

    "This is actually very normal and most of the time you would either use Furnace Cement or Stove Screws to give this a complete fit. Sometimes the manufacturer of your stove has a preference of what they recommend so I would call them to see what they have to say, but 99% of the time it is furnace cement which is for stove adapter only. The item code for this is 5RU-FSC32."
    ​
    I think I will try the stove gasket, as recommended by will711 .
     
    will711 and papadave like this.
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Furnace cement will eventually crumble away, and it can be unsightly, if that's important to you.
    Good call on the gasket. You could dab a little high temp silicone on to help hold it in place.
    :popcorn:
     
    will711 likes this.
  12. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Good idea :yes:
     
  13. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    And Englander says:

    What you will want to do is complete the installation so that everything is stationary. The use some High-Temperature RTV Silicone to create a gas-tight seal at that location.

    Eric Hammer
    England's Stove Works
    ​
    So, I will try the concensus view - gasket rope to fill the bulk of the gap, and high temp RTV to seal. :yes:
     
    papadave and will711 like this.
  14. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Sounds like it's all coming together for you , I think I would try and get the flat gasket that's used on the stove door window .
     
    chance04 and papadave like this.
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I didn't even use that adapter when I put in my DW.
    Mine is fairly simple, with just one DW slip pipe that fit right down into the collar.
     
  16. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Oooh, gooder idea will. It's pretty thin, so should work well for that.
     
    chance04 and will711 like this.
  17. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Thanks Papa :handshake:
     
  18. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    will711 and bushpilot , come to think of it, that window gasket is peel and stick.
     
    will711 likes this.
  19. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I may do something like that on my collar too, as I've felt there's a very slight leak there since original install.
     
    will711 likes this.
  20. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Nice I didn't know that . Only had to replace the window gasket once on the old Dutchwest and it wasn't peel and stick .
     
    papadave likes this.