In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The wonders of technology

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Jul 25, 2016.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    So, On Amazon prime day, they knocked down the price of "ECHO" to $129. Thats $50 off their regular price. I have been interested in that Alexa thing. So what the heck, I ordered it. Well, Alexa is here. Sort of like having a well behaved house guest. Ask it a question, it finds the answer, most of the time. Seems to understand everything I ask it. Ask for the news, play a certain song, ask for the news, or ask for things like conversions, and it answers you. I asked it, "Alexa, do you love me?" It responded, "I can't do that!", then it gave me a few suggestions of love songs when I repeated the question. Sort of a toy, I know, but it fun and it does answer a lot of questions. I asked it to play Rush Limbaugh Radio and it did! Anyone else have this Echo?
     
  2. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Ive seen it advertised. Is there a subscription or certain service provider required?
     
    Eric VW and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I'm not sure, put I think it does use prime. I have prime anyway. It connect to other non prime things
     
    Eric VW, Backwoods Savage and schlot like this.
  4. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I had the Echo in my cart on Prime day. Then I decided I wanted something portable so I put the Amazon Tap in my cart. Then I realized that I have Siri on my phone and have never used it, so Alexa would have been wasted on me and I bought a portable bluetooth speaker instead.

    Still though, I wonder if I would have used the Echo more than I thought if it was there sitting in the kitchen ready to go. Voice recognition is pretty impressive these days, I remember the "old" days 5-10 years ago when that type of software was more of a headache than a help.
     
    Eric VW, Jeffrey Svoboda and papadave like this.
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I remember when voice recognition (Kurzweil, and others) was in the early stages (more like 20 years ago).
    Talk about a headache.
     
    Eric VW and schlot like this.
  6. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,530
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Kurzweil is used a lot in our school with students.
     
    campinspecter, Eric VW and papadave like this.
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I'm sure it's improved over the years.