In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Im beginning to think aging ain't for wimps..................

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by rottiman, Jul 24, 2016.

  1. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Senior citizens are constantly being criticized for every conceivable deficiency of the modern world, real or imaginary. We know we take responsibility for all we have done and do not blame others.


    HOWEVER, upon reflection, we would like to point out that it was NOTthe senior citizens who took



    The
    melody out of music,

    The
    pride out of appearance,

    The
    courtesy out of driving,

    The
    romance out of love,

    The
    commitment out of marriage,

    The
    responsibility out of parenthood,

    The
    togetherness out of the family,

    The
    learning out of education,

    The
    service out of patriotism,

    The
    Golden Rule from rulers,

    The
    nativity scene out of cities,

    The
    civility out of behavior,

    The
    refinement out of language,

    The
    dedication out of employment,

    The
    prudence out of spending,

    The
    ambition out of achievement or

    God out of government and school.


    And we certainly are NOT
    the ones who eliminated patience and tolerance from personal relationships and interactions with others!!


    YES, I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!


    I'm the life of the party..... Even if it lasts until 8 p.m.

    I'm very good at opening childproof caps..... With a hammer.


    I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.


    I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.


    I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere.


    I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.



    I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps.

    Yes, I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN and I think I am having the time of my life! Now if I could only remember who sent this to me, I wouldn't send it back to them, but I would send it to many more too!



    Spread the laughter

    Share the cheer

    Let's be happy

    While we're here..


     
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,573
    Location:
    US
    Don't think for some reason that you were the originator of that post, rottiman...... But, you might know who is.....
    :BrianK:
    :)
     
  3. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,664
    Likes Received:
    144,668
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  4. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    No Eric, I am not the originator and unfortunately have no idea who is. But it has a ring of truth and humor to it, no matter.
     
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    x2
     
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,190
    Location:
    Central MI
    Here is another one to make you think. This is in my grandfather's time:


    Here are some of the U.S. statistics for the Year 1906:

    The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.

    Only 14 percent of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

    Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

    A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

    There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

    The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

    Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California.

    With a mere 1.4 million people, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

    The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!?

    The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents per hour.


    The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

    A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

    More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.

    Ninety percent of all U.S. doctors had no college education.

    Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

    Sugar cost four cents a pound.

    Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

    Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

    Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

    Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

    Five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:

    1. Pneumonia and influenza

    2. Tuberculosis?


    3. Diarrhea

    4. Heart disease

    5. Stroke

    The American flag had 45 stars.

    Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

    The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30.

    Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.

    There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

    Two out of every 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.

    Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

    Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacist said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

    Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

    There were about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.
     
  7. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    That's from my long gone grandmothers time of stories of horse and buggy.
    I get to thinking and analyzing.
    Alot of the Info or "statistics" is misrepresented, like the wage and murder rate, atleast That I'm aware of.

    But cooler stuff is to be thought about.
    I know I'd love a domestic servant.

    I know my grandparents never had one.

    My grandfather did have a goldfish though and on "cold" mornings he had to break the ice on top of the fishbowl that next to his bed.

    Population in states is crazy, California is out of water, and the last frontier appears to be Alaska.

    Tuberculosis, there are old "haunted" facilities in the hills that are now high school kids right of passage of hauntings and trespassing.
     
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    My grandmother on my mother's side had a maid during the depression, and also took in ironing herself.
    Weird.
    My first wife insisted on having a maid come in to clean the house once a month or whatever it was.
    That stopped when she stopped working.
     
    rottiman likes this.
  9. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    A cleaning lady is alot different than a domestic servant. They have cheap cleaning services every where now. I know lots of people who like having their houses cleaned.
     
    papadave likes this.
  10. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yep, fully aware of that point.
     
  11. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Just amazed at what changes my Grandparents and Great Grandparents saw in there life span.
    My Great Gramma was born in 1882 and died in 1972. Horse and buggies to air and space travel. Ice houses to refrigerators. Telephones and electricity. Dirt roads to paved roads. And yet sometimes I think they had it made!

    Gary
     
  12. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    I agree.
    Sometimes it feels in comparison that advancements have almost come to a grinding halt.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.
  13. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,518
    Likes Received:
    95,551
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    My grandfather lived to a month short of 100. he was born in 1899. From gas lights to remotes for TVs. he couldn't quite figure out the microwave though. I think he must have lived through the fastest changes in lifestyle in this age.
     
  14. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,726
    Likes Received:
    224,439
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    I can sympathize with the microwave thing.
    Myself, I'm just glad that VCRs were outdated so I wouldn't have to attempt to set the clock on them any longer!
     
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,190
    Location:
    Central MI
    I one time started to make a list of changes I've seen in my lifetime. Wow! I had no idea it would be that big of an undertaking! It is simply amazing how many changes have taken place over my short life span of 70 some odd years. Then I think of my grandfather, who was a farmer all his life and my father was a farmer all his life. Shoot, I remember when my father was still working with horses. A big jump to the John Deere A. Yes, that was the big tractor back then. But personally, I was not a big fan of the A at all. I liked the Allis Chalmers WD and then the WD 45 and then, etc, etc. Now look at the behemoths they work with! And we've just came off the wheat harvest and I still shake my head looking at those combine heads. When I was a kid, we had a 4' head and pulled the combine with a tractor. I remember when I first saw a self propelled combine. I was amazed.
     
    rottiman and My IS heats my home like this.