I took a little stroll though part of the woods checking on some of the ash trees I marked last spring. Sadly, one of them is dieing but most of them look really good. So even thought the borer got most of our ash, they did not get all of them. DexterDay you might remember one ash near where you and Matt were cutting. Sadly, that is the one that is not going to make it or at least it does not appear it will live. If not, I'll cut it soon so it does not start to turn punky.
Yes you can. Oh, I should answer too. lol The one that looks to not make it is about 12" diameter at chest height. There are a few like that then some smaller.
I remember that tree. One of the few larger ashes out there. Sad what that bug has done to the landscape. Around here it is just as devastating. Eric VW has seen the damage around here. As has Barcroftb
I remember reading somewhere about last year that like Dutch elm the trees will still grow to a certain size before they can become infected. I thought it was about around 14" but I searched this morning and cannot find a link at this time. If I find it I'll post back.
Hopefully the rest pull through for you! All of mine are dead now. My neighbors had one ash tree in their yard that survived....and then they cut it down last fall to expand their driveway!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I came home and saw the wood stacked up.
Well, we've had some 4" and 6" diameter trees get infected! I don't think size matters to the bug at all.
Earlier today I was in our neighbor's 70 acre woods and was pleasantly surprised to see several ash trees alive and well.