In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scary, you just never know where or when.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Jun 27, 2016.

  1. bobdog2o02

    bobdog2o02

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    3,010
    Likes Received:
    10,445
    Location:
    Drury Lane, PA
    Training, training, training. I shoot my .45 carry gun in competition, and do better than many specialty built guns. Practice......
     
    Chvymn99 and Beetle-Kill like this.
  2. bobdog2o02

    bobdog2o02

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    3,010
    Likes Received:
    10,445
    Location:
    Drury Lane, PA
    He is from NH....
     
    Chvymn99, schlot and TurboDiesel like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    CrossBreed holster and loosely fitting shirt.
    I carry a .45 24/7
     
    Chvymn99 and Beetle-Kill like this.
  4. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    and?
     
  5. bobdog2o02

    bobdog2o02

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    3,010
    Likes Received:
    10,445
    Location:
    Drury Lane, PA
    It is THE state with the freedom...
     
  6. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Aannnd,.. you're on the right track asking these questions. There are a lot of things you should ask questions about. Ask away... :yes:
     
    Chvymn99 and bobdog2o02 like this.
  7. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    Sure maybe 30 years ago. The moonbats have infected my state just like they infect everything else with their vile, wretched, cancerous progressivism.
     
    milleo, Chvymn99 and TurboDiesel like this.
  8. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Arrg....knock off the political compliments. I come here to get away from having to wade through political comments of both parties.

    FHC is not the place to expound upon your ideas of what is politically wrong with our nation.
     
  9. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    Fair enough but I am interested in opinions on which guns are best for self defense from those more knowledgable than myself.
     
    Chvymn99 and Beetle-Kill like this.
  10. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    XDM is a fine gun. Check out the XDS though.
     
    Chvymn99, Beetle-Kill and schlot like this.
  11. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I did but it looked so tiny.

    Do you have one? I see there is a 3.3" and a 4.0" model.
     
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  12. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    There's a wealth of knowledge here that should help.
     
    Chvymn99, TurboDiesel and Beetle-Kill like this.
  13. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    I have a 3.3.

    You don't want to be toting a hand cannon around with you...smaller is good. I mean you can...but smaller guns are easier.

    A XDM 3.8 compact would be good too.
     
    Chvymn99 and schlot like this.
  14. bobdog2o02

    bobdog2o02

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    3,010
    Likes Received:
    10,445
    Location:
    Drury Lane, PA
    If concealment is a huge problem then the xd (s) is good. The s stands for single stack. It carries far less ammo than the standard xd. My wife has an xd's 4.0 in 9mm, I carry a xd45 4.0. Keep in mind if range time and practice are not a top priority that a revolver may suit your needs better.
     
    Chvymn99 and schlot like this.
  15. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    The best gun for self defense is the one you are wiling to carry and shoot well. If it is a PITA to carry and you leave it at home....or carrys easily but you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it...they don't do you much good.
     
    Chvymn99 and schlot like this.
  16. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    So do most of you carry? I was thinking mainly of home protection. I know that NH is a stand your ground state but I'm not sure if I'd want to carry.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  17. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I have a 22 pistol for the house. I didn't get it for the power ( :) ) but because my bride was uncomfortable shooting anything larger.
     
    Chvymn99 and savemoney like this.
  18. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I know the police don't agree, but I would like these dope dealers to recognize that there are many folks in this state who do carry weapons and are not shy about it. That won't stop them from dealing behind the scenes, but it should tell them not to act out in public areas.
    Maine has one of the highest populations of veterans. Every one of them has experience handling weapons.
     
    milleo, Chvymn99 and schlot like this.
  19. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    Maine is also a duty to retreat state.
     
  20. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    For home defense just about anything would work....from a pistol to a shotgun. Striker fired pistol with 15ish round mag. Short barrel 870 with some 00 buck. Everywhere in between.
     
    schlot and Chvymn99 like this.