In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finished up..........

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jan 26, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    this Cherry that was broken off by the wind in May, pic 8518 is what I bucked up in the spring that was across the trail, the rest I did today.

    Pic 8521 & 22 is just across the trail in the woods, it looks like a damaged Sugar Maple, my plans are to take care of it this week.
     

    Attached Files:

    milleo, billb3, Well Seasoned and 3 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    How much came out of the storm damage wood?
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This is just a guess, 5 years. In the spring & summer we had two wind storms that were pretty strong, this winter we had the ice storm that took the tops out of many trees.

    That 5 years does not include the softwood we use for the shoulder season, we're loaded with downed pine & hemlock.
     
    raybonz likes this.
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    5 years in cordage? How much you burn typically x5 yrs?? How much do you think?
     
  5. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Thats alot of wood !
     
  6. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looking good!
     
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    In a normal winter we'll burn 3 cord of Cherry, 1.22 cord of Beech & Sugar Maple. This year we had 1.8 cord of shoulder season wood, still have just under 1/3 of a cord left.

    We heat from the basement or the numbers would be less.
     
  8. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    How do you do 1.22 cords ? Not even being a smart butt...just curious . I always round up . Most people who only use a couple of cords a year...still say they burn like 10 !!
    P.S....nothing better throughout the whole firewood process than Cherry..IMO !!!
     
  9. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    You burn in the area of 6 +/- cords a season incl shoulder wood?? x5, makes a nice healthy 30 cords?? Very nice if thats what it is.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    1.222000 cords +/- some bark and a few beetles
     
    milleo, swags and papadave like this.
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Each 16 foot long wood stack equals .61 of a cord, we usually use two racks of good hardwood.
     
  12. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    I guess there is something to learn everyday !! I dont roll so technical...my brain wont allow it :)
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Like I said it's my estimate, the best thing is I still have five areas I can't get to until spring, you can be sure they were hit by the ice storm.

    Burning to clean the lot up.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We had a member from another site that always wanted exact figures, so I did that.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I just was thinking, this year I only had four racks of Cherry in the area we had ready, 2.44 cord.

    I do have the 3 cord ready for next year.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.
  16. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice thing about a 5 year + supply

    "How much wood do you burn per year?
    Answer:
    As much as it takes. " :)
     
  17. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    That's very true Dave, I started to care much less about how much I used once I had over 15 cord sitting in my yard.
     
  18. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    It looks like the cold wave will hit Monday morning, our February hardwood (Beech & Sugar Maple) will be used in January, next years January wood will be used in February.

    From NOAA,
    IT WILL BE WINDY AND FRIGID MONDAY NIGHT WITH WIND CHILL
    TEMPERATURES 20 TO 35 BELOW ZERO.

    Like Swags said, nothing to worry about, the replacement wood for next year will be some Beech & Sugar Maple from 2010.
     
    Locust Post likes this.
  19. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Well said !!
     
  20. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,510
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Yep, back to an arctic blast starting Monday evening through Wednesday. Got some black locust soaking in jet fuel now.....I'll be ready. :whistle:
     
    thewoodlands and HoneyFuzz like this.