In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Allergies

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Smokinpiney, Jun 2, 2016.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Mine seem to get worse the older I get. I never even had allergies until my mid 20's. Now in my mid 30's they seem to fluctuate in severity. This year the pine pollen isn't all that bad but the grass pollen is terrible! My eyes feel like I sprayed carb cleaner in them. It doesn't help that this time of year my job is 75% cutting grass :picard:. Any home remedies or should I just stick with eye drops? Not really a fan of over the counter/prescription meds.
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I got a script for and used Seldane many moons ago, although nothing since but eye drops and warm water splashed in my eyes when they get too bad. Part of my morning routine.
    Matter of fact, need to do that right now.....
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Local honey supposedly reduces allergies due to pollen. A spoonful a day. If they are real bad, maybe have a full bear of it??

    It turned out what I was interpreting as a pollen allergy was actually caused by all the air fresheners used at work-- they brought me to the beink and then the pollen pushed me over.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    I usually eat lots of local honey and this year i haven't! Hmmm maybe it's why they're so bad this year. A few years ago my dad found the honey from the beekeeper that has his bees in the blueberries right behind my house. Can't get any closer than that. Gonna have to grab a jar and suck it down!
     
  5. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    You said you are not a fan, but Claratin (generic version from WalMart) taken daily works well for me. No side effects, and really helps.

    Allergies certainly do change over time. I was very allergic when a child, then mostly outgrew them in my 40's. Now in my fifties, I have a little again, but much better than when I was a child.

    For some reason coffee helps me as well :dancer:
     
    Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.
  6. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    I read ya loud and clear on the OTR's and scripts, Smokinpiney, but as I grew older, the OTR generics simply stopped working, and my sinus issues always go down to my lungs for some bronchial joy/pneumonia...
    I switched to Flonase (OTR spray) last year- haven't looked back! My $.02.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Hard to believe but one thing an eye specialist told me about eyes and allergies is to daily use a baby shampoo. A small amount on your fingers and wet them to make a slight lather then rub back and forth over your eyelashes. Do that daily through the season. This also can help with dry eye. The good thing about the baby shampoo is you will not get any eye burning from it.

    One thing we have in abundance now that we did not used to have is the autumn or Russian olive. That stuff is awful in May when it blossoms and really raises havoc with my sinus.
     
    Smokinpiney and Eric VW like this.