In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's the best way to clean when cold!

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Gasifier, Jan 21, 2014.

  1. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    How do you guys do a quick cleaning when it is really cold out and you don't want to wait for a long time for the stove to cool. I have an Ash vacuum but still worry about sucking up hot ashes. Can you tell me a quick way? Explain it in detail for us people up here with frozen brains who are drinking cold beer cuz we have the next day off and cuz that's what I want to do! A heul!
     
  2. RockyMtnHigh

    RockyMtnHigh

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2014
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Bailey, Colorado
    Sweatshirt and whiskey.
     
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    LOL. I should have known better than to ask that question. I just thought some of you guys might have some tricks up your sleeves. Nope. Just beers up there. Or a shot glass with wiskey in it.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  4. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Quickly Gas!!!!! lol
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  5. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Just put the stove into shutdown and make sure all the embers are out....then I do a quick vacuum...everything (ash drawer, in and under burnpot) even the heat exchange....wipe the glass quick with a dry eraser.....put pellets in the pot....hit the on button and torch the pellets until they start to burn again....close the door....done....
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  6. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Bottom line, if your going to be vacuuming ash, you have to let it cool. Can't you scrape it into an ash pan and then empty that into a metal container?
     
    Pallet Pete and slvrblkk like this.
  7. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    On weekends, do a hot coal burn down.
    Rake the coals forward & throw a split or 2 in top & burn on high.
    Do this a few times until the coals are mostly gone.
    By evening, you should've burned the coals down quit a bit.
    Rake the big coals to on side, use a metal shovel & shovel the ashes & coals in a metal bucket.
    rake the coals to the other side, shovel the ashes, & empty the bucket or set it out side .
    Spread out the left hot coals, & Reload ,
    good to go for another 10 days :)

    long sleeve shirt, (not synthetic) & I use welding gloves
     
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Aaa Dave. Have you been smoking those left handed cigarettes again?
     
  9. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    If it's really cold out I fire up the pellet insert upstairs, kill the furnace, let it cool, do the cleaning, fire it back up, kill the insert.

    Don't usually have to do that much. Seems every couple weeks we hit freezing or above so shutting off the furnace for a hour or so isn't a big deal. But based on the forecast for the next few weeks I may not be so lucky.
     
  10. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    No but I may head for Colorado or Washington soon.
    I here they have them for sale .

    I entered the pellet section again didn't I
    :confused:
     
  11. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    plan ahead and clean before the cold hits.
     
    will711, Xena, Hoot23 and 3 others like this.
  12. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    Kind of hard to plan ahead when it's freaking cold out every day so it seems! I did a fast wipe of heat exchanger and sidewalls and crossed fingers for a break in the weather soon. I have a exhaust fan to install but the weather isn't cooperating at all:mad: I'm at a point of directing all basement air to upstairs with old bedsheets to help with the heat as the dino furnace is slowly running on empty. It's still only January and I never used the furnace as much as I had in the years I had my pellet stove, man it's cold out there. Gotta get the Fahrenheit going as first plan, September 2013.
     
    thewoodlands, DexterDay and Gasifier like this.
  13. brokenwing

    brokenwing

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2013
    Messages:
    644
    Likes Received:
    1,701
    Location:
    Northern MD, Near the PA LIne
    Just brush all the ash into the ash pan, and dump it into a metal container like said above. Then scrape the burn pot, clean the heat exchanger, wipe the glass, and let her eat!
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  14. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    LOFL. Hey, we love ya Dave. It's good to see you here too. Stop in more often and keep some of these guys in line around here.
     
  15. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    o_O So I am okay with the last cleaning before the cold snap? Umm? What do you consider "the cold"? :D
     
  16. Lousyweather

    Lousyweather

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2013
    Messages:
    2,798
    Likes Received:
    9,040
    pft....best way to clean when its cold......call your servants to do it from the comfort of your hacienda in Costa del Sol!
     
    brokenwing and Gasifier like this.
  17. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    You mean 2014 :)

    I think my Fahrenheit is the best investment I have bought in several years. It is far and away my favorite stove. I am standing beside it as I type. :)

    (Current state) ;)
    1390444688981.jpg


    As for cleaning when cold? When I only had my Quadrafire. I would let it complete the full shut down process. Then quickly go in, brush, wipe, and vacuum everything. Then set the Shop vac outside. My Quad was very good about burning everything that was ejected from the pot. So the ash was normally cold after 20 min shutdown.

    Now? Well, now I have options. I can clean one, while the other runs. :)
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  18. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    2,981
    Likes Received:
    11,869
    Location:
    Northern Ontario
    I wish I had that option(2 stoves):(. Wait a minute, I do! I do! Why didn't I think of thato_O. The alteration of plans ALWAYS get the better of U! So tempting even during the middle of the winter blast. I got itchy fingers:drool:. Maybe I could sway a member:p here to do my bedroom ensuite honey do list so I could install my Fahrenheit:thumbs:, problem solved!
     
  19. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,279
    Likes Received:
    58,481
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Seriously thinking about a furnace...and Dexter lives close, I am not to proud to ask for advice if I make the move!!
     
    will711 and DexterDay like this.
  20. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I turned the pellet stove off again the other day. Waited for 30 minutes. (About 20 after shut down complete.) Took the two front cover plates off inside the front lower section on each side of the burn pot. I sucked everything out I could get and then wrapped on the wall with a long extension from the ratchet set. The stuff that fell out of the back and down to the points where I could vacuum it out added up quick. A couple of different size putty knives for scraping and within 20 minutes I had a pretty good cleaning job done. Again. Boy, they are dirty little .......... Aren't they? I am going to buy a different pellet after this ton is gone. I think. Plenty of heat coming out of these Timber Heats. But I want to see how a different pellet burns. I have tried several kind now. But have not tried a 100% hardwood yet. I am trying to remember the other kind that a local stove store has here. Ugh. C.R.S. Out of Canada. Hmmm WTF?