I was told that is where the critter lives. There is a hollowed out part of the tree. The droppings on the ground are at the base of the tree with the hollowed out part. Seems the animal dumps the stuff out the hole onto the ground.
That's a lot of poop. 700 ft away from my house, I'd have fixed the porky by now. I can't have my dogs getting into porky quills.
Lots of animals around here. Bob cat, fox, coy, Fishers, coon, skunk, deer, turkey etc. My dogs don't go out of the yard and I don't let my cats out. My son has opened up the underbrush a lot so we can see into the woods now.
If you have fisher around the odds are it will get that porky soon enough. They do a good job at keeping the population gown.
It was my kids and grand kids that found it while on an evening walk. However, there was no mention of odor. I'll ask them later on.