In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dad's wood pile

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Shawn Curry, Apr 10, 2016.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Birthday dinner for my sister today at my parents house. Need to get over here and do some splitting!

    image.jpg image.jpg

    This is the old pig sty we used to use for a wood shed. This is where it all started! He doesn't stack his wood in there anymore, he just leaves it in the barnyard and scoops it with his loader.

    image.jpg image.jpg

    Had to take a pic of this too. My great grandparents had a peach orchard and they used to take this old stake bed to the market to sell them.

    image.jpg image.jpg
     
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Cool! I have seen an old stake rake like that and it was a dump! Most of the older ones were not though.
     
  3. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    You need to borrow the wood hauler
    Don't look like it gets used much.
     
  4. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Some cool pictures. I think it is pretty neat to have some family history like that.
     
  5. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Thanks for the quick walk down memory lane shawn! Cool pics
     
  6. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,342
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Does the truck still work?
     
    Shawn Curry and NH mountain man like this.
  7. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I know my grandfather kept it in running condition for many years. Dad's not a mechanic but he used to start it up regularly and keep the oil changed. I'm not sure if its still running now though.
     
  8. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I hope you'll keep it in the family. That would be a great restoration project, and gramps would smile down on you.:salute:
     
  9. JCMC

    JCMC

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    10,119
    Location:
    Just outside of Shushan, NY
    I agree with NHmm. That is a great truck.
     
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,342
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I'm betting he would smile even larger if he knew it went to a home in the U.P!
     
  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Lots and lots of work there Shawn. Any estimate on the amount there is? And I agree on the truck. Sweet!
     
    NH mountain man and Shawn Curry like this.
  12. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Thanks! Its a pretty big pile - most of it from a huge red maple be had taken down last year. I'd say he's got about a cord and a half split and another 4-5 unsplit.

    Best of luck getting my Dad to part with it! I've been trying to talk him out of this little Farmall for years... :(

    image.jpg