In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another Dumb Question

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Daryl, Jan 18, 2014.

  1. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Tomorrow - No Snow! I am going to attempt to smoke some ribs. Have you ever smoked food in cold weather? Any advice besides bundle up?
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I put up a video a while back of me smoking in the snow. Get your smoker close to the house!
     
  3. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Which thread is the video on?
     
  4. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,140
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I do it all the time, nothing different, may need a bit more wood depending on your outside temps and wind.
     
    fox9988 and Daryl like this.
  5. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    When I was much younger I offered to cook the meal on the grill for my friends who had nicely invited me to dinner. We were living in South Carolina at the time on a construction job. All of us a long way from home. We had the next day off so we commenced having a few beers. By the time dinner was ready we were all half in the bag. And the grill was close to the house. Well the burgers had created a few flames and I had apparently swung the spatula a few times and decorated the siding on the house with the grease!:emb:
     
    Pallet Pete, swags, fox9988 and 2 others like this.
  6. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    My tips:
    pre warm your wood on the top of cooker

    I have used welding blankets as insulation wrapped around the cooking chamber on my offset. Definitely helps.

    Plywood wind blocks help too if it's windy

    Drink booze...it keeps ya warm!

    No cold should keep a man from his bbq!
     
    swags and tuneighty like this.
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,285
    Likes Received:
    66,673
    Location:
    IN
    I'm cold smoking bacon today...good weather for that.


    Keep it out of the wind and plan for a little extra time in cold weather.
     
  8. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I smoke all the time did pulled pork which was on for 16 hours and it was in the low 20's that day. My smoker is one of the kamado style smokers though so it's pretty insulated and I put my pid stoker on it so I didn't have to go out and mess with it so I guess I may have been cheating.
     
  9. tuneighty

    tuneighty

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    542
    Likes Received:
    1,670
    Location:
    South Central PA
    I have created a "wind block" out of snow before.
     
    Daryl likes this.
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Sorry, I thought I replied to this. I put all my videos in the Firewood Hoarders TV thread.

     
  11. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Much appreciated, Jack. I will get to this someday...when the temps get over 20 and there isn't that pesky sideways snow.