Sooo so many things wrong in that video. . Guess that dude's never seen what a cable breaking under tension can do to a person. Especially at head height! Always, ALWAYS lay some sort of weight over the cable even if it's a rag.
Since it was hung up in another small tree, and that small tree will end up being a hazard tree (note the lean is further than 7 degrees), I would fell the small tree and kill two birds with one stone. (shallow face, then bore cut out) A definite no no for the steel cable.
Man, This video just has chunks of stupid flying from it! As Smokinpiney said, if you ever seen a cable snap "(I HAVE)" he would have maybe lost part of his scull or even his head. How about a simple back cut, let it crack and drop. Works every time!
I've never had a cable snap but I have had ropes snap. I would not want to be on the receiving end of a rope as all that energy is released. It could be just as deadly as the steel cable I saw this video a couple years ago. What an idiot! That tree didn't even come close to following the notch! Someone could get hurt following his directions.
I had a 40ft chain snap, 10-15 feet ended up inside the back of my Grand Cherokee with the hatch open, good thing as I would have lost a window, but very scary the rest ended up under the Jeep, 40 feet of 3/8 chain smacking you in the side of head, OMG To top that, I saw images of a off roader Jeepster with heavy duty cable that snapped, all came back through the back window killed him in one second
He's even worse than the guy in the first video! Oh wait, that must be the new Triple V (Vila) method. A tight V 2/3'ds of the way through the tree. Then another cut resembling a Wide V with another tighter V on the bottom for the hinge. The wide V is to help guide the tree a full 90 degrees away from the first V.