I've had some serious challenges as of late, and I'm sure like many of you, the stress of personal and professional issues has taken its toll. But today I got a fresh reminder how lucky I am and how most of the things that make me stress really arent that big of issues, when you look at the big picture. I was at a meeting with a client today (a City government) discussing a couple large projects they are working on. In the middle of the meeting with the City manager and Mayor, a man, about my age invites himself in. Immediately I could tell he was an individual with special needs. The manager and mayor stopped our meeting and started talking to him. He said he had just got done with his work project and wanted to drop off a gift for both of them. From his pockets he unfolds a paper for each, and seeing me takes another out for me. In crayon he had colored some pages from a coloring book for Easter. It was kind of hard to understand him as he spoke, but his face beamed with pride as he gave us those colored pages and as each of us thanked him. It was then when it really hit home. Here was a man who had some serious challenges, ones I can only imagine, who was happy to just color those pages and to be appreciated for the simplest of gifts he gave us. I didn't get to thank him for that very important life lesson so I thought I would now. Thank you good sir!
Thank you so much for sharing this Schlot......very good reminder for us all to stop and count our blessings.
Very good post. Life is not so bad if you look at it through the eyes of others. Simple tasks for us can be so difficult for others.
I have to remind myself that whatever menial problems I have that seem to make life tough would be welcomed by literally half the people in the world compared to what they may be facing. Gotta keep perspective. Seems as though our society here have had it so good, for so long that we take it for granted. It's too easy to survive these days. Life's a garden...dig it.
Thanks for sharing schlot We can get so caught up in our own problems that we forget the bigger picture and how blessed we really are.