I had to replace a few white cedar fence posts out back so I picked up a 2" Forstner bit to bore holes. The chips ejected out of the hole were thin and clean. I left them on the walk for a few days to dry out completely in the sun. I ended up with a five gallon bucket full of them. I took a handful and placed them in the stove for a cold start today. I had a few small pine chunks for kindling and then splits over that. These chips took off well and burned very hot. Within a few minutes, the fire was going nicely. I took a cedar cut off block and swiss cheesed it full of holes to make more. What remained of the block I split into kindling. I'm going to give this a try and hold off making wax starters. These may be good soaked for smoker wood in the Weber. After a minute.
I wouldn't ever use lumber in the smoker, you never know how it has been treated. Even "untreated" wood often is treated with something that you do not wish to be eating.
Hey this is a really good use for the firestarter application here! The smoker idea sounds good too but I like using chunks nowadays. Easier to keep the fire going and under control as well.