This one is a hobby project. Iver Johnson break top .38s&w, first generation circa 1895. Designed for black powder. Was missing a grip, just fitted it with some reproductions.
Hello to your new cute lil guy Can you just imagine the life he has lived over the last 100+++ years?!?
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the bore but after soaking overnight it cleaned up nicely. I need to clean it up a bit more yet, but want to be able to retain the bluing-- it has a nice patina. Then I just want to give it a nice wax job so it stays nice until I can find or make some ammo to test it.
Use Johnsons paste wax. If it is good enough to protect an unfinished cast iron tablesaw top it should work great on the blued finish.
yeah,its expensive but you can try it out and you will have 50 cases that will last many loadings 38 S&W Ammo|Black Powder Cowboy Ammo|38 S&W Black Powder Ammo
Just make sure the gun is warm...doesn't need to be hot...just not stone cold. Apply the wax liberally and let sit for at least an hour or so. Then wipe it off. Done.
I have ammo on the way, hoping for a good go with it. Cylinder seems tight but am worried the timing may be off a touch. Wont know for sure until it clicks or bangs. Fingers crossed.
Just not while squeezing the trigger, right? Tie it to a tree if nothing else? You be safe! Webmaster must be protective of digits, sir
I had a S&W 38 Special revolver, 1905 model 4th change? (like a victory) and it seemed like the timing was just a hair behind with the cylinder empty. But with the hammer cocked smartly in single action, the weight of the cartridges in the cylinder seemed to overcome this, and no problem. Hopefully the same goes for you. If the timing is off just a bit, it will most likely go bang, but will shave some lead off the side of the forcing cone.
We are working on coming up with some sort of gun vice. Feel free to make a "make sure the webmaster still has all his fingers" fund to buy me a real one