In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

BTU Rating of Stale Pancakes?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Grizzly Adam, Jan 14, 2014.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Anyone got this number? Old lady always forgets to freeze the extras.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  2. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Why don't you bake 'em down to 5-6% in the oven, weigh the batch, and burn a load, measuring the temperature rise in the house. Based on the known heat-loss properties of the structure (you do have that info documented already right?) and efficiency of the stove, you should easily be able to calculate the BTU content of your flapjack fuel.

    Don't worry if it doesn't turn out to be a powerhouse fuel tho. We could always grind them down and press them into pellets. I hear the pigs will burn anything once.

    :p
    :popcorn:
     
  3. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Pancake pellets maple flavored ,should I burn them or eat them:whistle:
     
    concretegrazer and smoke show like this.
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I didn't have any white sugar on the main floor that day when I made the batter for her, so I mixed in some of my hickory syrup.
     
  5. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Don't even try to burn them unless they have been stacked and top covered for at least three years out in the open!:)

    Gary
     
  6. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Dam stale pancakes take as long as oak to season :(
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    My pancakes are always stacked and top covered with syrup. Griddle side down!
     
    will711 likes this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Jack, Jack, Jack,.....everyone in the know, knows you stack the short stack griddle side up. That's the crispy side and keeps the rain out.
    On the other hand, I hadn't heard of this method of using a syrup coating. Waterproof?
    :thumbs:
     
  9. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Nope, not quite.
     
    papadave likes this.
  10. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Sugar goes into pankakes? And I thought both sides went on griddle? I don't cook and the ones I have made were from mix which I know has sugar in it and I have only cooked a hand full.
     
  11. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yep, sugar, baking soda, salt, flour, egg, and milk, buttermilk, or whey depending on what's on hand.
     
  12. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Kind of wish I could cook more. Well I can I guess but I have to have a recipes to follow.
     
  13. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Recipes + instruction books + maps, Only as a last resort. It's against the male code :rofl: :lol:
     
    will711 and concretegrazer like this.
  14. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Btu's of stale pancakes, compressed or fluffy?
     
  15. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I make them fluffy!
    It just take practice and an understanding of what each ingredient does.
    Recipes are acceptable under the male code BUT the food must turn out great. If you follow a recipe and get bad food, turn in your jock strap.
     
  16. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    What about charcoal from overdone chocolate chip cookies? Surely they are useful for something?!?
     

    Attached Files:

  17. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Hockey pucks
     
    BrianK likes this.
  18. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Seems like we could smoke something with them.
     
    BrianK and will711 like this.