In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Found a use for an ugly ugly

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by schlot, Jan 11, 2014.

  1. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    From the elm I took down in my back yard this summer I was left with a triclops shaped ugly. I set it a side waiting to be split down making even more uglies.

    Today I was bucking down some silver maple and ended up using the ugly to hold the small diameter logs and a piece of tall spruce I hadn't bucked down, as a a stop. Really did the job nicely!


    [​IMG]
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Something I hadn't thought of doing.
    I don't usually get many large-ish Y's like that, but now I'll look harder for 'em.
     
    schlot likes this.
  3. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Last one I seen similar (20"+ White Pine with 3 centers & full of big knots) I just squared off both ends & use it for another chopping/sawing block.It'll rot before ever breaking apart from any impact.


    Then I'll just burn those baseball sized chunks :cool:
     
    schlot likes this.
  4. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Now that is using your ugly Schlot.
     
    schlot likes this.
  5. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    You almost need to keep that thing.
     
    schlot likes this.
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    You know, trim it perfectly flat on all three and you have a nice place foot a hardwood table top for your beer outside. Nice beer table between a couple of chairs, and makes a good conversation piece. I made that back in 2013, and I .............
     
  7. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Good idea
     
  8. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Good use of an ugly, schlot.
     
    schlot likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    That is a perfect example of making do with what you have! I love it.