In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work Done Today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jan 10, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The plan was to get three Ironwood today, I took two. Pic 8418 was storm damage, pic 8420 was the second one which was bent bad by the ice like pic 8421, that is still standing. Pic 8422 is the first load, 8423 is the second load of ironwood, pic 8424 is some ironwood with yellow birch I cut last week.
     

    Attached Files:

    milleo, Backwoods Savage and Chvymn99 like this.
  2. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I went back to what was left of the Maple stump, I used the 310 to cut the last five or six rounds off it, the first time since fall it's been used. Pic 8426 is after I'm finished, the rest is hauling it out. Pic 8429 is made up of two rows, the back has yellow birch & ironwood and the front row is what I think is Sugar Maple.
     

    Attached Files:

    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,188
    Location:
    Central MI
    What's your snow depth there? Looks like we'll be losing some.
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    About 5 to 6 inches if were lucky. The rain will start tomorrow which will make it a mess.

    It looks like you'll have a mess too.
     
  5. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good stack ! Less water in the wood this time of the year.

    Aren't you usually snowed out of the woods by this time of the year?
    Areas South West of you got feet of lake effect snow.
    Might be your year for low snow totals :)

    A short warm & rain period on snow can make a mess, not fun to be out in.
    Got rubber boots !!!! :)
     
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Usually I get snowed out, I've been back in until the end of January before.

    Depending on the rain tomorrow, my plans are cutting more topped off Ironwood and some Cherry near the trail.
     
  7. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks like a great day! It rained off and on all day here and it is a disaster today. I couldn't even get my tractor to the top of the hill if I wanted right now with all the mud we have!
     
  8. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,511
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    No cutting for me tomorrow. Everything is soft and supposed to rain all day. Yuch. On top of that I am coming down with a cold double yuch.
     
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We'll have a mess after tomorrow if we get the .75 inches of rain there calling for, Vermont to the east coast will be looking at 1-2 inches.
     
  10. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Yuk

    Zap, your weather for the next few days might make the trails a muddy mess.
    Tire chains ?
     
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The chains have been on since December, the trails at the moment are frozen tracks, it's like railroad tracks.

    The brook is loaded with ice, last year they had the excavator parked on our property by the bridge just incase of an ice jam, it never happened.

    This year they don't have the excavator at our end, we'll see what happens.