In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Opening the muffler?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Pallet Pete, Jan 9, 2014.

  1. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Ok I am just stubborn and don't want to cut into the muffler if there is a way to pop it open otherwise. What methods did you use to open yours up guys? I'd like to heat the crimp up on them and bend it back but that is not looking like its gonna work with a propane torch.


    I AM STUBBORN dangit I'm gonna get it yet! Seriously this is more of a challenge to see if I can do it than anything.:D:rofl: :lol:
     
  2. Guido Salvage

    Guido Salvage

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,735
    Likes Received:
    4,938
    Location:
    The heart of the Bluegrass
    If you give us just a small hint of what you are working on (and a picture) we might just be able to help you out...
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Know when to hold 'em,
    Know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away
    ...............:rofl: :lol:
     
    mdavlee and Pallet Pete like this.
  4. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,479
    Likes Received:
    113,742
    Location:
    KC Metro
    :popcorn:....
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I'm gonna guess it's the muffler from an Earthquake 4518.

    I ground the edge until the flange released and then welded it all back together. So I am not going to be much help to ya Pete.
     
    clemsonfor, papadave and Pallet Pete like this.
  6. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Sorry I totally forgot:emb: I'll get some pics today.
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  7. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    image.jpg

    I'll get one muffler off after the stove gets rolling in a few minutes.
     
  8. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    To properly "Gut" it, your gonna have to split it. Otherwise, get a 3/8 - 1/2" drill bit and go from the back, straight through the front :) Easy way out..

    The dual ports are pretty cheap and also have no Cat. For the money, it saved me a lot of time.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  9. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    O chit I forgot to upload the pics of the muffler:eek::eek::eek::eek::whistle:
    Ill probably give in and cut it open but man thats just not a challenge….
     

    Attached Files:

  10. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Cutting it is the easy part. It's the Welding it back together that may prove tricky. Depending on what kind of welder and your skill set.
     
    clemsonfor and Pallet Pete like this.
  11. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I'm a decent welder my mig isn't the best though I'll probably borrow my buddies 190 and that should do it just fine.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  12. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I did it with a millermatic 140 loaded with ER70S6 .024" wire. Tri-mix gas and the heat down around 3-4 and it ran beautiful.
     
  13. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I took the easy way out and bought the same one Dex had. Was easy nd is a good and factory looking deal. Its $19 shipped!

    My OE is for sale! I think I'll throw it up on the bay? See if someone bites?

    But i know you know what I did so I'm no help. I can weld but with my equipment I don't think this job was in my capacity!