Hi everyone.I replaced my convection blower 2 weeks ago on my Vistaflame VF100.Purchased it through my dealer and I installed it without any issues.My problem is it's very loud at it's lowest speed.I plugged it in to my variac transformer,and it rattled until I got it to about 70 volts.after that it's quiet. The noise is in the motor itself,not the squirrel cage.Is this what I am to expect,or am I missing something? Everything is tight in the stove. I've been playing phone tag with the dealer so I haven't had a chance to speak to him. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me.
Not sure if this helps you out or not but I have a Fasco A120 convection fan that replaced the original fan that started having a slight bearing noise. The damm Fasco has a weird harmonic noise coming out of the motor on low only. So I order a Rotom and that one if super quiet so I'm not sure what is up with the Fasco.
Thanks for the quick reply.Harmonic is exactly the noise I have.I may order another brand also because the noise is annoying.Thanks for the help.
I have the same problem with my distribution blower. I replaced the original with the same Dayton blower. It's quiet on low and max but has a loud, annoying, harmonic whine in between. Annoying enough where I'll probably replace it again next year.
Dirty voltage As mentioned, it is a harmonic that is caused by the voltage cycles not being perfect. Many of the triacs used in these stoves are trash and do not put out a good clean wave form. If the wave is not exactly the same above and below the line (Scope pattern) the motor will make WA WA WA WA WA NOISES It is not the motor, it is the triac (Speed control) Best advice is to find a happy spot and leave it there.
Hi Snowy. Thanks for the reply. I hooked the motor up to it's own independent power source through a variac autotransformer. still get the same hum until it gets about 70 volts, then it quiets down somewhat when I increase the voltage .also I never had this issue with the motor I replaced. as far as finding a sweet spot,I don't have that luxury. My convection blower changes speeds when I change the heat level .I can't control it independently. I spoke with the dealer this morning. Still waiting for a call back.
Hmmmmm Ok Swap the motor out for an open frame style. These tend to be a lot quieter. The issue is the control board and the speed control that's built in is sending out dirty current. There is the choice of tapping into mainline voltage and using a stand alone speed controller to tun the fan. Easy fix if you want to do that. 70 volts on these motors is about the low limit to keep them rolling along properly. My new controller has a resistor across the terminals to stop the fan from going below 75 volts Good luck
My original convection blower was quiet through all speeds, the only thing was the one bearing was getting noisy. I replaced that with a Fasco A120 (original was a Jakel). The Fasco has a steady harmonic on low only, other speeds were fine. I ordered a Rotom replacement and this one is completely quiet on all speeds like the original so who the heck knows.
Every so often you will see a motor that's noisy and no manner of fooling withe it will make it Quiet. The open frame motors with the heavy magnet bars are far better motors and less likely to wa wa wa wa.
The practice the manufs have started of controlling the fan speeds with the feed rates is another CYA tactic. So many people will not bump the room air fan up where it should be when they are stoking the thing hard and then overheat the beast. Our Big Whit has had a pretty much full speed fan since we got it and I really like the speed. Going to engineer the new control to get the thing right in that sweet spot. It's not ungawdly loud, but puts out a good volume of air. The harmonic sounds though can drive ya nuts. We get times when the line voltage will be a tad higher or lower coming into the house and when this happens the old Whit really sings. Then it stops and is quiet again ????? A fresh room air fan is likely in the offing me thinks