In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I have a GPS..................

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by rottiman, Jan 25, 2016.

  1. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
  2. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,554
    Likes Received:
    76,361
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Hey, I was going somewhere yesterday and I overrode my GPS several times. Got there much quicker, less stops, less traffic and shorter distance. All I know is my GPS s*cks. It even takes me down dead end roads (that have never had an outlet), just for fun then pulls me into a driveway to turn around to take me back to where I turned off (per directions) - then sends me the way I had been going before it had me turn into the dead end. Really pretty sad when I need to googlemap before I leave so I know how to get somewhere since I can't rely on the GPS to even get me close sometimes.
     
  3. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Sounds like you need a better GPS..........................:rofl: :lol: the one you have is playing with you....
     
  4. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    My father-in-law affectionately calls the female voice on his GPS.........
    ...The B!+€#
     
  5. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,583
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I used to have a voicemail system, wow that lady could be mean!!
     
    Eric VW, Star Gazer and bogieb like this.
  6. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,554
    Likes Received:
    76,361
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    If Magellan had actually used this GPS, he never would have circumnavigated the block, much less the world :jaw:
     
  7. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    It wasn't a Magellan GPS, was it?????...........................:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
    Eric VW, Star Gazer and bogieb like this.
  8. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,554
    Likes Received:
    76,361
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Nice guess - what was your first clue? :D
     
    Eric VW, rottiman and Star Gazer like this.
  9. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    I have a Magellan GPS in the truck. It's very undependable. But for me the worst part is it tells me the intersection AFTER I've passed it. That's okay, it spends most of it's time in the glove box and one day I'll find someone to give it to.

    My bike on the other hand has a Garmin GPS which is okay for my purposes. Certainly not the best, but at least it doesn't get me too lost! :headbang: My next GPS will be an old fashioned compass and a map.
     
    bogieb, papadave and Eric VW like this.
  10. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Because Garmin wasn't an explorer..................:rofl: :lol:
     
    UncleJoe, bogieb and Star Gazer like this.
  11. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,709
    Likes Received:
    224,321
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    99 lbs named the woman's voice after an old girl friend of mine. Maybe because I was lost then???
     
    bogieb, Greenstick, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  12. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,504
    Likes Received:
    95,487
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    It is amazing how many boaters we would meet in the summer who would show up in our complicated navigating island waters with a place mat or road map and wonder why the currents don't seem to make sense or why the distances seemed longer than indicated. They were mainly relying on GPS handhelds which don't seem to be as accurate as GPS Chartplotters. And if the batteries die, you were going to be in big trouble. Even with paper charts (marine maps), this area is confusing to navigate. And if your horizontal Datum doesn't match the chart in the GPS, you could find yourself on a rock somewhere.
     
  13. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,554
    Likes Received:
    76,361
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Mine spends most of its time in the console because I would feel bad even about giving it to someone.

    My bike has nothing for navigation - and I'm happy to keep it that way. I have maps in the saddle bags and write down directions on a 3x5 card that I place in my windshield pouch (in a plastic sleeve). 1 side of the card of basic directions (written large so I can see) will take me for at least a couple of hours - as long as I want to be on without stopping for a quick stretch or bladder relief anyway. If I'm running down to RI/CT or out to far side NY, I'll use several 3x5's and just change them out as needed.
     
    Star Gazer and rottiman like this.