In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Now maybe I am ready, lesson learned.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Jan 8, 2014.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    After going without heat, running water, or lights for a few days during the Christmas ice storm, I finally put a stop to going without. I can deal with the water situation for a few days, but the no heat is just impossible. So I bought a generator that has enough power to run the pellet stove and a few LED lights. I also bought two power pack inverters that will run my electronics some. Each one can run 60 watt bulb two hours. The wifi uses very little, the LEDs about 5 watts, the computer is apple ipad with up to 11 hrs on one charge.
    The generator runs on 4 gallons of gas for 10 hrs at half load.
    No fancy electrical hook up. Just keep the generator away from the house and run a cord into the house. I am not anxious to try it out, just consider it like insurance. There if I need it, and skunked if I don't have it.
    20140108_154510.jpg
     
    milleo, Xena, NortheastAl and 5 others like this.
  2. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,515
    Likes Received:
    95,537
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We haven't had to use ours that much but it sure was nice to be warm when the neighborhood is dark and cold.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Building my home last one in on a dead end road in a wooded area over a steep hill was a decision I made 38 years ago. Only twice have we been without power for any time longer than a day. But both those times were during the winter and during ice storms. I always said about my problems, "deal with it" Problem is now that I am older and it takes me a week to do what I used to do in a day. I just don't deal with it as I would have in the past when there was a little more spring in my steps.
     
    Gark, papadave, NortheastAl and 2 others like this.
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    How much did that run you? :cool:
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    $319 on sale, normally $349 plus $ for shipping from Northern Tool. It is also available from Amazon for that same price but they want $100 for shipping. Northern Tool calculates their shipping cost by distance.
    The Battery Inverters were $90 each. Got those from shop HQ. I waited too long to do this.
     
  6. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

  7. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Save. You're a military guy. You've already had enough of doing things the hard way just for the sake of doing them that way and saying that you did. No need to do that anymore. You're right, the generator is a good insurance policy. :thumbs:
     
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    For a few bucks more, I could have gone with a larger unit. But I think it is best to look at a minimum, what would make living conditions tolerable during a power outage. Larger unit, more conveniences, more gas.
    Consider what you are going to run. Electronics can't run long with dirty power. They require pure sine or you will have a lot of damage to your equipment.
     
    HDRock, Pallet Pete and Certified106 like this.
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Yep I never had to use my generator for power Outage, But I have it,
    I Bought a roof rake about 3 years ago never used it it's still in the box, Going to try it out here in the next couple of days
     
    Pallet Pete and savemoney like this.
  10. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Exactly, we all buy insurance policies for one thing or another, except these policies are physical, they are in front of us and work when you need them, proactive stuff!
     
    savemoney likes this.
  11. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I bought a cheap generator 4 years ago and it has gotten me through weeks worth of power outages. Best $300 I ever spent at Aldi's as I am sure it has saved me thousands of dollars worth of food that would have spoiled otherwise.
     
  12. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Looks good Larry , Hope you never have to use them :D
     
    HDRock, savemoney and Pallet Pete like this.
  13. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Running dirty power caused the pellet stove control unit to start to screw up and eventually blow. Problem is almost everything is electronically controlled now.
     
    savemoney likes this.
  14. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Gas is very very expensive in an outage IF you can get gas. We bought a little tiny 800 watt genny that gets about 6 hrs on a 1 gallon tank running at 50% load. We use lanterns a camping stove and the wood stove in an outage. Our fridges get cycled off the generator one at a time. That's just the reason to stay comfy but on the cheap!
     
    savemoney, NortheastAl and HDRock like this.
  15. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    The few times we were without power
    The generator was great to have.
    Hope you never "need " it, but good insurance if you do.
     
    savemoney likes this.