In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Water pump not pumping, Not sure what to do next

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by HDRock, Jan 7, 2014.

  1. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    When I got up this morning I found the water pump was running.
    I thought maybe a water line had broken somewhere so I turn the main water off, Pump still kept running, Pump was warm both hoses into the pump were warm, So I Shut the pump down,
    I figure the line from the well to the pump somewhere under the house is probably Stopped up, froze up.
    The front part of my house is a crawlspace The Addition on the back part Has a basement where the Water pump is, So the lines from the well runs under the front part and then into the basement to the pump.
    My furnace has not worked in two years, Normally the ductwork under the front part will probably keep that from freezing, But my furnace blower does work, So right now Getting the house warm as possible and I am running the blower trying to force in heat under there Through the ductwork.

    Right now actually, don't know what to do , Besides wait it out and see if it thaws out, There is one place to get up under the house but,How would i safety get heat up under there??

    Never had to deal with anything exactly like this before
    Edit : I also have an electric heater running in the front part dining room, Which is where the Lines from the pump are under there.

    With No water to flush the toilet it is nice to be able to pizz off the back porch though :D
     
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  2. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Get under there with a blow drier, you can also use a 100 watt light bulb to make some heat. Be very careful, left unattended both are easy ways to burn your house down.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  3. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    HD does the blower on your furnace still work? You could pop a duct section off near the stove room and pump hot air down to the basement??
     
  4. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Yes I have the furnace blower running and the cold air duct to it is 8 feet from the stove, I also have an electric heater sitting in front of the cold air duct, It's 80 degrees in stove room right now, Its up to 69 in the front part of the house
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I hope everything is ok HD! If you where not 45 minutes away in good weather I'd bring an electric heater or two that I have over!
     
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    HDRock likes this.
  6. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    HDRock likes this.
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I have a couple of Different small electric heaters I could stick under the house but I am very concerned about Leaving it under there unintended with an extension cord and all that
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  9. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Depending on the size of the area about the only way to get some serious heat is a salamander. Just be carefull for cleareances and combustibles!

    Gary
     
    HDRock likes this.
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I might be missing something so please excuse, but why not the heat tape everyone uses under their mobile homes. Thousands in use around here without fires. The water mains come up from the ground and are wrapped in protective electrical heat producing tape.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    HDRock likes this.
  12. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Good news pushing heat through the duck work did the trick.
    I HAVE WATER
    :thumbs::thumbs::):):D:D:drunk:
    I think I dodged a bullet everything seems to be okay so far
     
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    That is certainly good. Now consider the heat tape made specially for that situation. It will save your butt from getting into that problem again. Could have been lots worse had the pipe burst.
    Glad you have your hot water back.
     
    HDRock and will711 like this.
  14. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's what I'm going to do, wrap it up with heat tape and hook it up to a wall switch
     
    savemoney likes this.
  15. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Thanks everyone for the input I appreciate it :)
     
  16. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    To tell you the truth I did not have much faith in it thawing out that way, But figured it was worth a shot
     
  17. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Far out... When we go to the bar can we just tell them to put our drinks on your tab?o_O
     
    savemoney and HDRock like this.
  18. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I'll be back after while,,going to take a shower now :)
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  19. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    The power company is going to love me, o_O On top of the wood stove, running the furnace blower and 2 Electric heaters, Continuously for 3 days. Have to sleep with just a sheet,80- 85 in the whole house
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  20. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    No wonder you wanted to take a shower. [​IMG]
     
    HDRock likes this.